1931 AA Rear wheel Hubs and bearings

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Robert Gray
Model Year: 1930

1931 AA Rear wheel Hubs and bearings

Post by Robert Gray »

I read the previous posts re this topic. My hubs and wheels came off no problem but the left one had a broken lip on what I think is the bearing race Image

I have a right rear hub casting. I assume right and left are interchangeable so long as you change the lugs to the appropriate lh or rh thread True?

The broken race hub has two ??rivets?? holding the race in place (at least that is what I think they are for) The good hub has a hole but no rivet. Do I need to put one in? how do you do that?

Opinion wanted: Should I switch hubs or switch out the bearings?

The hubs are functionally the same but different styles.

Thanks for the help
dyoungs
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

Post by dyoungs »

Congrats on getting them off.... I must have enough of a hard time for everyone else.......
Dave
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B

AA rear hubs

Post by Mike in Maine »

Robert,
Welcome to the AA truck Forum. Lot of info here.
Good luck.
Regards,
Mike
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The hub can be used on either side. The lug bolts are what make the assembly right or left handed.

The bearing sleeves were originally held in by the rivet (I thought only one). You will probably have to make the rivet to fit the bearing sleeve hole.
Regards, Neil Wilson
rsierk
Body Type: 185-B

Post by rsierk »

I don't think the broken lip will hurt anything. Maybe you should pull the old seal out and see if there is a crack extending down into where the bearing rollers run.
Robert Gray

Broken lip

Post by Robert Gray »

Something catastrophic happened that caused the lip to break...the rivets both sheared (the rivets were 1/16th over the original size and there were two of them) and the sleeve apparentl rotated with the bearings and the sleeve is now undersize for the hub (dont know if hub was made larger or sleeve smaller) and while the fit is snug you can easily pull the sleeve out with a puller. I found several spare hubs and will pull at least one sleeve to do a test fit in my original hub and then decide what one I want to use........you are probably right there was still enough of the lip to hold the seal in and except for the undersize business I could have used that sleeve.