oops... multi disc clutch and pressure plate

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Harry Lipki
Body Type: AA Chassis
Model Year: 1928

oops... multi disc clutch and pressure plate

Post by Harry Lipki »

Is the multi disc clutch and pressure plate available anyhwere ? I know that some day I will need to change the ring gear in our old girl and when I have her apart it would be a good time to replace the clutch etc.
I hope that I will never need to replace the clutch and ring gear ( which is worn down some )on our truck but you never know . She is being driven by several different people and no matter how many times you show someone how to drive the 28 they can still screw up.
She is working fine now but................just want to have a plan in place
Harry
Last edited by Harry Lipki on March 15th, 2011, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Re: double disc clutch and pressure plate

Post by Reds34 »

Double disk? I'm not sure I follow.

Red
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by vtwinsideways »

I believe he is referring to the early '28 multiple disc clutch. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
Harry Lipki

Post by Harry Lipki »

I guess I should get my terminalogy right ... Yes it is a multidisc clutch .. thanks for the correction Luke ... Hey what can I say .. I am a rookie at this
Last edited by Harry Lipki on March 15th, 2011, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Harry,

Like Luke mentioned, your truck probably has the multi-disc clutch which has 4 lined clutch discs and 4 steel driven plates all compressed together by one big spring. A special tool is used to disassemble the clutch pack.

Keith
Harry Lipki

Post by Harry Lipki »

tiredtruckrestorer wrote:Harry,

Like Luke mentioned, your truck probably has the multi-disc clutch which has 4 lined clutch discs and 4 steel driven plates all compressed together by one big spring. A special tool is used to disassemble the clutch pack.

Keith
If it needs replacing are there parts available ?
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: oops... multi disc clutch and pressure plate

Post by vtwinsideways »

Don't feel bad Harry, I'm not even sure that's what Ford called them. I just heard the term years ago and kept using it. I think there is more info than one person could possibly ever remember about A/AA's. I bet Henry didn't even know it all! (But don't tell him I said that! :wink: ) I have never seen any parts for them. That doesn't mean they're not out there. Most guys I know switch over to the new style, but I've heard several tell that they have never had problems with their old multi-discs and would never give them up. I searched most of the major parts houses and all I can find are statements of "does not fit" or "not for use with" early multi-disc clutches. Sorry I'm no help. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
Harry Lipki

Post by Harry Lipki »

vtwinsideways wrote:Don't feel bad Harry, I'm not even sure that's what Ford called them. I just heard the term years ago and kept using it. I think there is more info than one person could possibly ever remember about A/AA's. I bet Henry didn't even know it all! (But don't tell him I said that! :wink: ) I have never seen any parts for them. That doesn't mean they're not out there. Most guys I know switch over to the new style, but I've heard several tell that they have never had problems with their old multi-discs and would never give them up. I searched most of the major parts houses and all I can find are statements of "does not fit" or "not for use with" early multi-disc clutches. Sorry I'm no help. Luke
Thanks Luke .... The clutch still works great .As long as the ring gear holds up we'll be OK . I just always like to have backups . You say there is a modern replacement ? Harry
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

The replacement is just the single disk clutch that replaced the multiple disk clutch. Changing over would involve getting a new transmission, bellhousing and maybe pedals too.

Red
Harry Lipki

Post by Harry Lipki »

Reds34 wrote:The replacement is just the single disk clutch that replaced the multiple disk clutch. Changing over would involve getting a new transmission, bellhousing and maybe pedals too.

Red
Lets hope I don't have to go that way :| ... Now I know .. thanks guys