Manifolds

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
stufferdarwin
Body Type: ?? closed cab
Model Year: 1931

Manifolds

Post by stufferdarwin »

I'm in for exhaust & intake manifolds, mine are basically just scrap metal and no amount of gaskets and milling is going to fix them.
I saw a good looking one on E-bay, but it has a heater flute on it. I'm attaching a pic I found on this forum of the same type of manifold. My question is; will this fluted style cause me problems with overheating of the distributor/condenser??

I also need an intake, and haven't found a mated pair. Any problems with buying them separately?

Thanks
Darwin
Attachments
manifold.jpg
manifold.jpg (87.23 KiB) Viewed 4148 times
Rosenkranswa
Model Year: 1930

Re: Manifolds

Post by Rosenkranswa »

I have them on a couple of my cars and have never had a problem with them. You might find that you'll like having it during the winter if you can find a scoop for it since you already have the fixture on the firewall.
Ford Truck Nut
Model Year: 1928

Post by Ford Truck Nut »

Buy new, they fit better
"Bear Down, try Hard, and never quit, NEVER"
Tuff Headman
rsierk
Body Type: 185-B

Post by rsierk »

Stuffer, There will be more heat radiated toward the distributor than with a standard manifold. You might want to install a steel heat baffle between the radiator section of the manifold and the distributor. However, if you are in a cold area and want to run this truck only in cold weather, your distributor is probably not in danger. But, of course, if that is the case, you will want the collector (funnel) piece to direct the heat to the firewall vent. These are available in flea markets. The hard part is making sure it is the same brand, so it fits.

As far as I know, all of these heater manifolds were made to accept the standard intake manifold.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

Did you try the long one piece gasket on it yet. They are pretty forgiving when it comes to warped manifolds. I am talking about the thick metal ones with some kind of asbestos like material sandwiched in between. I have had real good luck with them on warped manifolds.
stufferdarwin
Body Type: ?? closed cab

Post by stufferdarwin »

I decided against the e-bay stuff and am getting a manifold setup from Neil Wilson. I already have the cast iron "whatsitsname" to collect heat from the manifold and direct it to the cab and I feel more comfortable with the stock setup.
I've ordered some more gaskets, including one long gasket but I'm not sure if it's the metal one. I have a tendency to order gaskets by the six pak.
thanks for the tips
Darwin