Coupling shaft

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Coupling shaft

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

I began degreasing the shaft and pulling it apart and found some big problems.
The Shaft tube housing (AA-4810) at the trans mission end has completle grenaded itself in three pieces.
The Ujoint is coupletely shot and the tube itself is in pretty tough shape.
It doesn't look good for new bits so I am wondering if anyone has ever successfully repaired these parts
I can probably get the tube copied, and possibly weld up the tranny tube housing. The U-joint will be a hunt item I am sure.
Kind of puzzled why the end without the u-joint took such a beating, while the u-joint housing is perfectly fine.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Re: Coupling shaft

Post by Bob C »

What shape is the male gear on the end of the transmission output shaft
and the female gear on the coupling shaft in? This link may be the U-joint
you need. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4171

Bob
johnnydidd
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1928

Post by johnnydidd »

Farrell, I am going through the same thing with my Doodlebug, it is made from AA, the universal joint on mine is ok but the coulper is about wore out. mine was all cobbled up, one of the universals is rebuildable so it wont be a problem if I need to do that some day.

This a picture of my coupler, universal joint was welded onto the end and another I got from a AA for parts, the female is just about wore out also.
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

That is the same as my U-joint. One question: It is stated that this is a "rebuildable" type of U-joint. How would one go about rebuilding it with no parts available?
Bob it got a little late last night so I did not thoroughly inspect the male and female of the joints. I would imagine they must provide a point of flexability, but its odd that they are between two relativley fixed cross members. The transmission is fixed and the angle to the U-joint would stay relatively firm as well.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I think the problem comes when the crankshaft and the coupling shaft are not on the
same plane, as when the front of the engine is to high or to low. Ford came out
with a replacement coupling shaft for the AA in 1932 that had u-joints and both ends.
Attachments
coupling.jpg
coupling.jpg (118.72 KiB) Viewed 3430 times