Some times we do more harm than Good- Sand blasting 2 ?"S

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Jeremiah
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

Some times we do more harm than Good- Sand blasting 2 ?"S

Post by Jeremiah »

I have an engine that runs extremely well but looks awful and sandblasting the engine and transmission as a unit seems like the best option for me
Obviously every hole, orifice and port must be sealed such as putting a plate and gasket securely over the Carburetor inlet. Need more advice! Some times we do more harm than Good- Incidentally, I had a perfect 6 " hole cut in a large water bottle many years back in my yoot to make a terrarium by a monument place. The craftsman cut a hole in a piece of sheet cork as a template. "sand will cut glass, not cork." was his expert comment. WOW

question 2; I want to possibly do a frame off restore on a real nice 31 sedan. other than a repaint, the body and inside is absolutely beautiful. How high do I have to lift the body to clear engine [distributor and fan removed.] Is there a Model A car forum as good as this one?
all the best
Jeremiah.
Rosenkranswa
Model Year: 1930

Re: Some times we do more harm than Good- Sand blasting 2 ?"

Post by Rosenkranswa »

Hardest part about lifting the body isn't clearing the engine and distributor, its clearing the steering column and wheel. Its still not that big a deal though - get yourself, 3 or 4 trusted friends, and heave-ho. Lift enough to get a couple stout boards underneath then use those for the main lift. Just be careful.

My favorite A site is www.ahooga.com. Ford Barn is good also.
johnnydidd
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1928

Post by johnnydidd »

Sand blasting, after you tape all the openings you will still will get fine sand into the part you are sand blasting, I have restored many tractors and will not trust sandblasting. You think you have all the openings, seals and bearings covered and sand will still get into the engine and transmission, example shift tower, bad gasket, bearing seals and etc. Power wash and use a degreaser, remove all scaly rust and grease, use a good primer that will seal off the rust. John
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

I'M with J Did, I don't want sand on any moving parts. You can tape off a surface to preserve it, but, sand under pressure will get where you don't want it. De greasing, scrub brush, wire brush, takes less time than cleaning up after blasting.
sonny
Body Type: bb
Model Year: 1932

Post by sonny »

I agree with the last two posts. Sand blasting has its place, but engine etc. is not one of them.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

Don't use a sand blaster on your engine and trans. You will live to regret it. I use my pressure washer and simple green. You will clean it up real nice but will still need to get into crevices with a wire brush or scraper. Once degreased you should be able to prime it and then paint it. It's how I have been doing them for a long long time.

Gunk engine degreaser works well as well but you still need the pressure washer to get it off.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Rosenkranswa wrote:Hardest part about lifting the body isn't clearing the engine and distributor, its clearing the steering column and wheel. Its still not that big a deal though - get yourself, 3 or 4 trusted friends, and heave-ho. Lift enough to get a couple stout boards underneath then use those for the main lift. Just be careful.

My favorite A site is http://www.ahooga.com. Ford Barn is good also.

It is not much trouble to remove the steering column and gear shift lefer.
Rosenkranswa

Post by Rosenkranswa »

Chris is right, you can drop the steering column (you probably don't want to try removing the wheel with the body in place) and remove the shift tower without too much trouble, but if you have enough folks to lift the body over the engine you can lift it over the column. Don't skimp on bodies for the lift either way particularly if the inside is nice as you say.