Dual Wheel - Tire side wall clearance

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bud valerius
Model Year: 1930

Re: Dual Wheel - Tire side wall clearance

Post by bud valerius »

Budd was a wheel manufacture and made wheels for all makes of trucks. I will remove the wheel to get the correct date and part number , two years ago when J first discovered the difference I thougt it was a Dodge Truck . What made me notice the difference was when I bolted the bumper on .if you look at the one photo you can see the relation of the bumper to the tire then look at the position of the backing plate.
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

I just removed the wheel , the date is 4-35 , part # C-33530 below the part # there is a A with some distance then the 4-35 , it also has the BUDD WHEEL CO MADE IN THE USA in the same location as the normal AA BUDD wheel .
Attachments
100_0925.JPG
100_0925.JPG (347.11 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
popcorn-guy

Post by popcorn-guy »

I had a discussion with the two brothers who own the tire shop that I frequent about this issue. They both advised that any dual wheel set up, antique or current years be outfitted with the recommended tire size that came with the wheels. They pointed out that oversized tires will generate a lot of heat that will not be able to be ventilated due to the spacing of the tires and that is just one of the issues that will be generated. According to them their industry has written a number of articles on this subject over the years and the same recommendation has always been the same, stay with the stock set-up. That would be, I believe, the 6:00 X 20 size for our AA's.

These fellows have been in the tire business for over 40 years, grew up in it, and have delt with the heavy trucks down to golf carts over the years and are experienced. The subject came up due to my inquiry about putting oversized tires on my Ford F350 a few years ago. I'm running the stock sized tires still. Each individual will have to make their own decision as to what they will do for tires as I have not presented the above to refute any opinions given or to be given. For what it's worth.
tony bullard
Body Type: Oil Tank
Model Year: 1929

Post by tony bullard »

I made a set of 1/2" spacer disks like Bob showed on my CNC plasma machine and had to use longer inner nuts from Ryder. It worked really nicely. You need a full disk to get full bearing.

This is the left nut.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ryder ... tDetail.do
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

That's cool. Those are cheaper than the regular size nuts from Bratton's.

Red
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUVzgCH ... r_embedded
Being of relevance to what we do, and are talking about, I figured this to be of inerest. Perhaps it was already posted. But still somthing to be aware of.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Looks like plenty of space between these.