6 volt vs 12 volt system

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: 6 volt vs 12 volt system

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I have a'29 roadster pu I bought in 1962 I put the starter that I have on it now, it's the same one that's been on there for 52 years. I don't remember ever have trouble with it, only I have replaced the battery a whole bunch of times. I'm staying with 6 volt and standard factory power brakes :wink: :) . Shelby, Louisiana
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Bladehorse »

I switched over to a 12v system a decade ago, before starting a frame off restoration. I think Ill switch back to the 6 volt once I get it running again(If ever) 1/2 the reason to drive these beasts is the experiance of yesteryear. Nothing quite matches Driving down a hardly used forgotten road, bundled up like an eskimo to stay warm. The headlights casting enough light to see where the next turn is, but not much more. Leaves soo much more to see when the moon is full.The whine of the tranny as ya gear down to climb a pass with a ton of shop tools on the back in a move. And best is finding the correct throttle position and the correct amount of main jet adjustment to pull the long grade Thank god for throttle locks! :P
I think as we go day by day, and want to incorperate the A'AA's into our lives, we tend to forget why we even want to in the first place... Just a thought.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

All my Model A's are still 6 volt and since I keep them properly tuned up, they all start immediately. When you start modernizing a Model A where do you stop? Do you want a Model A or a newer model car/truck?
markp213
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Post by markp213 »

Growing up on a ranch and being around a lot of 6 volt systems, as long as they are kept up, they always start and run fine! Sometimes I can go a few months without starting my AA, and it fires right up! A good working starter, battery, and good connections are important. I have a 46 Willys Jeep that we thought about converting to 12 volts because it never started. After I rebuilt the engine and starter (because they both needed it!), like the AA, it fires up pretty much the first time, every time.

I like them as original as possible so I'm glad I never made the conversion. Just my two cents.
Mark P.