Front end Toe

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Greg Liekweg
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

Front end Toe

Post by Greg Liekweg »

What is the Toe in on a early 31 AA 131 1/2 wheel base. with 700/20 if that matters. Thanks
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Re: Front end Toe

Post by spectria »

Greg Liekweg wrote:What is the Toe in on a early 31 AA 131 1/2 wheel base. with 700/20 if that matters. Thanks
I could be wrong, info from:

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/align.htm

1/16 is the best number I can find, but it could be up to 3/16.
The toe-in is the last setting in a mix that should be set, and is affected by Caster, Camber and Point of intersection.
In other words, toe-in may not be that important if your other settings are not corrected first.
All the other settings will change toe-in, but toe-in won't affect the others...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

What condition is your front end. if fairly tight you can use a measuring tape to get it very close. I've been mechanicing for over 50 years and this is how I do the adjusting. First pull your truck on d fairly level surface, wheels straight. Use a measuring tape find a point on the rear of tires as a measuring point and as high as you can get a measurement. Then go to the front side of the tires and measure at abut the same high and point as on back of tires get a measurement. adjust your tie rods so you get 1/8" less on your measurements on your front side of the tires. Do this then drive the truck a block or so and recheck your measurements. Readjust if needed. You tires will last with only normal wear :) Shelby, Louisiana.
Greg Liekweg

Post by Greg Liekweg »

I picked up this truck in Feb. this year, and it had a wooden flat bed on it
,took the flat bed off. Got it running, checked the brakes and adjusted. In march,I Drove it around, and it drove fine. then I build a metal dump box. Took it out yesterday and I couldn't go over 10 MPH. It would start to shimmey ( BAD). Front end is in good shape. Only settings I could find are for Model A,s.
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by macswoods »

For the shimmy, check the balls in the tie rod ends and steering rod. If OK and round try tightening the ends to put more tension on the ends. My tudor had the same thing and it took care of the shimmy. Mac...
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

Hello Greg,
E-mail or PM me I have some tips and things to check regarding shimmy.
spectria

Post by spectria »

As others have said, check for looseness in front end parts, King Pins, Tie rods, Steering gear...
The added rear weight may have unloaded the front end and the bits can now flop around...
Greg Liekweg

Post by Greg Liekweg »

Well about a mouth ago my brother came to my shop to fix his truck and brought his grandson (4 years old) He was all over the place and even said he helped me work on my old truck. He had a lot of fun rolling around on the creeper. long story made short. He took off one of the wishbone nuts. No more shimmy. Even put on 50 mile today.
spectria

Post by spectria »

Greg Liekweg wrote:Well about a mouth ago my brother came to my shop to fix his truck and brought his grandson (4 years old) He was all over the place and even said he helped me work on my old truck. He had a lot of fun rolling around on the creeper. long story made short. He took off one of the wishbone nuts. No more shimmy. Even put on 50 mile today.
Nut back in place looseness gone... better watch that little guy, he'll have the carb off and rebuilt next time!
That video would be priceless!
dyoungs

Post by dyoungs »

Greg,
My truck used to do the same thing with the shimmy. check the king pins for play in the spindle unit. The king pin is steel and the bushings are brass which is a very soft metal. My truck was a driving truck not a show truck so I did not bite the bullet to purchase the king pin rebuild kit. I went online and found some brass bushings online that were the correct size but they did not have the grease fitting hole drilled and they did not have the grease groove in them. I got 10 of them shipped to my house for like $4 for the bag of them. fit like a glove and no shippy.
Dave