shifting 4 speed

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

shifting 4 speed

Post by macswoods »

Just got my 29 AA out on the road for the first time. Having trouble shifting into 3rd gear. First to second OK, but will no go into 3rd. I can go from 2nd to fourth OK . I re built the trans,new bearings and new shafts ,gears looked good . Mabe lube oil not thick enough ?? Runs great except for this. Mac.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: shifting 4 speed

Post by Chris Haynes »

1st is compound low. Only used for heavy loads or really steep hills. Just use it as a 3 speed with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I have no clue what your shifting problem in.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

macswoods wrote:Just got my 29 AA out on the road for the first time. Having trouble shifting into 3rd gear. First to second OK, but will no go into 3rd. I can go from 2nd to fourth OK . I re built the trans,new bearings and new shafts ,gears looked good . Mabe lube oil not thick enough ?? Runs great except for this. Mac.
When you completed the rebuild, could you dry shift into all gears on the bench?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Did you rebuild the tower? The pin at the top is usually worn letting
the shift lever flop around.

Bob
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A

Post by macswoods »

yes , all the gears moved freely. Took apart the tower , cleaned it end looked OK. Will take it apart again . How much side to side movement should there be, don't know mine moves quite a bit I guess. It feels like it is hard to find 3rd gear. Mac.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Usually the slot in the shifter, the hole in the tower and the pin are worn.
There should be almost no play.

Bob
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

FYI the shift lever end thats inside the tower should be a round ball not a square where it meets all the shifting plates (sorry cant think of the name....)
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Can you downshift from 4th to 3rd? Both gears use the same shifter fork & shaft. When shifting to 3rd the shaft moves forward out of the cover. I'm thinking something is stopping the shaft from moving out of the cover. Check for an obstruction.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Correction: I said shifting into third gear the shifter fork shaft moves forward out of the cover. It moves toward the rear out of the cover. When shifting into fourth gear the shaft moves toward the front out of the cover. Anyway check for an obstruction. You may want to lift the cover off the tranny and check the shifter fork shaft movement.