Canadian aa truck frame serial number location.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Steve78
Body Type: Not sure
Model Year: 1929

Canadian aa truck frame serial number location.

Post by Steve78 »

Hello all new to the forum. I have of late acquired a bunch of model aa truck bits. I have not been able to find a serial number on the frame and am curious if the Canadian models had the frame serial number in a different location then "normal"?

I am not 100% sure it was a Canadian truck at this point. I don't have all of the truck so I am not even sure what body was on it. The engine and trany that I have that came with it does have a canadian serial number on it. That number is CAA106756 which is according to the info found is a 1929. I am not sure this engine came from this truck. There was a whole bunch of other bits that came with the stuff. There was a couple of mid 20's dodge brothers engines, a large pile of model t stuff and so on.

According to my research I have determined it is an AA 5005-B frame but the year is still not known. Is there any sorta info out that tells what body would have been on this frame? As for body bits that came with it, I have the hood, rad and rad shell, a couple splash guards (I think), fuel tank (top of cowl), window. There is a couple un identified parts that maybe part of the truck, but I am not too worried about that yet.

I have a letter off to a family friend who used to own this stuff before the guy I got it from did. I am hoping he can help with the mysteries of this stuff (and hopefully more bits). But until then I want see if the frame and motor went together.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: Canadian aa truck frame serial number location.

Post by ModelAkid »

I looked through the latest Judging Standards and there is no information about frame serial numbers on Canadian A's or AA's, only engine numbers. If no one here knows the answer try emailing the question to the MAFCA web site "Technical Q & A".
By the way are you sure the number has not just rusted away from the usual location behind the left rear engine mount?
Steve78

Post by Steve78 »

I am not sure if the number is rusted away or not. I will take better look today. I did some wire wheeling on it a while back and if my memory serves me right the frame wasn't majorly pitted or anything, so my assumption was that it was missing, ground off or the Canadian model had a different serial number location.
markt
Body Type: 188a
Model Year: 1928

Post by markt »

I have several 28 and 29 AA Canadian AA trucks and parts of trucks. I have not seen a serial number on any of my chassis.
Steve78

Post by Steve78 »

That's what I was kinda thinking. I just looked again this afternoon, there is some pitting on the frame from rust but not enough that a serial number or parts of one couldn't be seen still. I think there just wasn't one to start with.

Does anyone know of any data bases that said what bodies (cabs) went with what serial numbers? I know that this maybe a long shot since the engine could have been changed... I have so little of the cab that I have no idea if it was a flat deck truck or what.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

The question about finding out what body was on an A or AA chassis has come up before. Apparently there are no records of that. On an A the number of leaves in the rear spring give a clue.
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

The '28-'29 Canadian AA's had a lot of different chassis components such as cable brakes (both service and emergency), a special Timken bevel gear rear (not like the '30-'31 Timken bevel gear), an open driveline (no torque tube), a special torque arm running from the rear end to a special shackle mounted below the front shackle of the left side rear spring. My '29 even has wood spoke artillery wheels. There were three versions of these trucks, a "L" (light)model, a "M" (medium) model, and a "H" (heavy) model. The "L" model had just a 3 speed trans, the "M" had the 3 speed and a dual-high, and the "H" a three speed and a Warford. At least two different companies made the cabs for these trucks, Gray Body and Brantford. My "AAC" has the Brantford cab and a Brantford made grain body. My front fenders were even constructed different than the American ones. I haven't lifted my cab yet to see if there were any frame numbers.

Keith
Steve78

Post by Steve78 »

Thanks guys. I know there is a tube that runs from the trany to the diff. I will look to see if I can tell what trany is on the engine and if there is any info on the diff. I will try to get some pics of the springs then maybe we can tell if it was light, medium or heavy duty chassis.

Here is a pic of the hood. Maybe this will help tell what the cab may have been.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.09 KiB) Viewed 6722 times
markt
Body Type: 188a
Model Year: 1928

Post by markt »

I have two 28's and 3 29's all Canadian. All are equiped with the Branford cabs, the 28's have wire wheels and worm drive, the 29's all have wooden spoke wheels and a bevel gear diff with open drive shaft. I am not sure what they all had for beds, two have stake beds ... non Ford. The rest had no beds at all... I am putting an Express on my 28.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

That hood looks like a 1935.

Bob