29 emergency brake rod

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

29 emergency brake rod

Post by Stakebed »

Does anyone have a measurement of the rod that goes between the 29 (handle in front of shifter) to the crossmember shaft/bracket (short shaft that the 2 rods from the rear axle attach to)

I dont have one at all. The one in my truck had been brazed back together(not very pretty at all - i ended up having to cut it to get the trans out...) in 3-4 separate spots and every truck/frame ive gotten a chance to get one from its already missing or broken in the same spots...

I know it has a 2 prong clevis on one end and an eye on the other.

is it the same as a car?

Anyone got a spare one they would part with?
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: 29 emergency brake rod

Post by ModelAkid »

Looks like you need a rod 29-11/16".
I'll look around and see if I have one.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Where did you find this information? I'm asking because i called Berts today to see if they had one and he said he went in the back and there's about 8 different lever to shaft emergency brake rods they have; some car, some truck, some long wheelbase AA, some short, some with the handle in front of the shifter , some to the right, some for the goofy 28 car brake system, etc.

My truck is a March 1929, 131" wheelbase, standard 3 speed car trans with emergency lever in front of the shifter, coupled to a dual high. I remember the old one used a non adjustable 2 prong end for the emergency brake intermediate shaft where the rods attach (what is the name of this part anyways?) and the trans side has a single non adjustable eye.

29 11/16" sounds about right just by the ol eyeball but i dont know how close the other rods are that they have to that measurement. I dont have enough pieces of the old one to even crudely measure... Is that measurement from end to end or center of each eye?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

AA d2 Brake System - Trucks with emergency brakes (late 1928 - 1929)

Hand lever (center) to cross shaft rod - through August 1929 = 29-11/16" front eye and rear clevis (as ModelAkid indicates). The rod is 5/16" diameter. This is what is being provided to the JSC for updating the JS.

The shaft is named the emergency brake cross shaft as per the Ford parts booklets.

The proposed area E07 will have a table showing all AA brake rods (diameter, length, front/rear ends, and spring pocket button location) for each of the four brake systems.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

Oh thank you!

Yea i looked thru my version of the JS and the AA section is severely lacking (mines outdated anyways)

Can you guys recommend some books/manuals that would list stuff like this and closed cab info?

Wouldn't happen to have info on the 28/29 rear brake rod idler arm return spring would you Neil? (such as relaxed overall length).
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

AA-2523 Retractor Springs

Post by Neil Wilson »

The proposed JS E07 update contains the attached regarding the retracting spring.

I will be glad when the new E supplement is actually approved and distributed. It will add lots to the AA information.
Attachments
AA-2523 rbra Retractor Springs.jpg
AA-2523 rbra Retractor Springs.jpg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

Excellent! yea the one spring i have looks like the last one and should be. shame mines rather pitted...maybe berts has some
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Well I called Berts and they dont have a rod, anyone on here have one??? They do have a 28" NOS rod if anyone is looking for one.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Long story short ia great guy made me one exactly 29 11/16" from eye to eye, looks great but unfortinately doesnt seem to work, ran out of adjustment and still wouldnt hold tight.

Decided to take it off and see where i could get more and walla! a 28" long rod will give that bit more extra oomph i need!

Thought id post in here if anyone searches this history...