stuck distributor

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
twostickmutt
Body Type: doodlebug
Model Year: 1928

stuck distributor

Post by twostickmutt »

first off thanking you for adding me to this site. there is a wealth of knowledge here.
i have a 32 bb doodle bug that was given to me and according to the engine number it is a '28 (june) motor. it has a mallory dual point distributor in it that won't turn. (aluminum against cast) i have been spaying it for the last few days and putting a little heat to it with a hand torch but no luck. i don't want to force it and destroy the distributor housing. anyone have any other tricks other than what i've been doing. thanks for any help. i should have added dist. shaft turns and the motor runs just can't spin distributor.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Re: stuck distributor

Post by KimVanOrder »

Alluminum and Cast have different expantion and contraction factors. Alluminum is greater than cast. Heat the cast as much as possible and Freeze the Alluminum. Spray with penitrating oil, and Tap, Tap, Tap on it to losen. Bit you probably allready knew and have done all that. Only other option is to take the head off so you can get at the bottom of the housing and drive/pull it out.

Good luck.
KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
gearling
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Post by gearling »

I used CLR once in a similar situation involving aluminum alloy parts. It wasn't pretty, but it worked when nothing else did.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

Mutt, are you trying to turn the distributor body, like you do to adjust the timing on a more modern engine? A Model A or B distributor is not supposed to turn. The timing is adjusted by turning the cam that opens the points. There is a lock screw on the side of the head to keep the distributor in place. That keeps the distributor body from turning, or being pulled out.
twostickmutt

Post by twostickmutt »

ModelAkid wrote:Mutt, are you trying to turn the distributor body, like you do to adjust the timing on a more modern engine? A Model A or B distributor is not supposed to turn. The timing is adjusted by turning the cam that opens the points. There is a lock screw on the side of the head to keep the distributor in place. That keeps the distributor body from turning, or being pulled out.
thank you very much. after reading more on the forums i see about turning the cam inside the distributor and the timing pin for # 1. thank you all for your replies. these 4 bangers are quite a little motor.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

All the Mallory distributors I have seen you have to turn the whole distributor like a more modern car.

Bob
Attachments
m-l1600.jpg
m-l1600.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
twostickmutt

Post by twostickmutt »

bob is that a dual point ?
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

It's a picture I found on Ebay, and yes it is a dual point.

Bob
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

You would still have to loosen the lock nut on the side of the head to turn that hot rod distributor.
What is a dual point Mallory doing on a BB doodle bug with a '28 motor anyway? Just put an original Model A distributor on it and make things a lot simpler and more reliable. I'm sure you could get a nice price selling the Mallory to someone building a racing or hot rod Model A.