downshifting transmission help!

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
CannonballRally
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1931

downshifting transmission help!

Post by CannonballRally »

Okay I finally have upshifting sorted out. No more grinding. Watched every video possible. Bottom line was slow down let engine come to idle and that works flawlessly. BUT. How on earth do you downshift these old pickups. I tried waiting for rev to drop, double clutching and every combination in between?

Would really appreciate some guidance. Having to come to stop is not the answer. I dont know what I would do if I hit a big hill and had to shift down to 3rd
🤔
1931 AA Truck - CAAS4775 - 82-B , AA157
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Re: downshifting transmission help!

Post by birdacre »

sometimes you have to put it in neutral let clutch out, rev up engine quick and then put clutch in quick and downshift. the idea is to get the transmission and engine the same speed, then the gears like to mesh. this would work from 4 to 3 or 3 to 2. if there is resistance, rev it up more but make sure you are in neutral with clutch out.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

when down shifting you must increase the engine rpm - usually go by ear. Go around in 2nd gear and listen to the engine rpm tone - when you get to your hill you have to downshift from 3rd, clutch in shift to neutral, clutch out - blip the throttle till you reach 2nd gears rpm then clutch in and shift to 2nd before the RPM falls too much.

you can practice this in an empty flat parking lot or dead end road before mastering hills.
CannonballRally

Thanks I will give,r a try. Worried about chipping some gears. Will get to know sound and try.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

CannonballRally wrote:
June 22nd, 2018, 10:56 am
Thanks I will give,r a try. Worried about chipping some gears. Will get to know sound and try.
If you rev the engine correctly, the shift lever will allow moving into the lower gear fairly easy. To prevent gear chipping, you should not force/jam into the lower gear. It takes practice to learn (a flat country road without traffic is good for learning) You can also Internet search "double-clutching" for other information.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Welcome to the world of "precision" transmission parts.

Like was mentioned "DON"T FORCE IT"... Be gentile. Have fun.. :shock: :wink:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
CannonballRally

Okay thanks everyone think I got this. The last video was very helpful. Basically go to neutral then rev engine up so gears and engine are spinning at same speed then clutch again and engage. Shall practice. Once I get it once I shall be fine. I do wish I had a tach so I could mental note rpm since my hearing is not that of years gone by. Thanks again everyone.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

at least if you grind it you won't hear it. good luck.
Animal
Model Year: 1930

Post by Animal »

Practice practice practice

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

If money is not an issue, You can get transmissions with modern synchronizers so they will not grind. Just like a modern trany..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
CannonballRally

Mitchell synchronized transmission - I assume is what you are referencing. I just checked them out and to be honest at almost 3 grand USD ( core charge - blah blah) which right now is likely 5 grand CDN dollar with exchange and freight I will have to wait on such a purchase. I will get this , its all about more seat time - that's all :)
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

CannonballRally wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 6:20 am
Mitchell synchronized transmission - I assume is what you are referencing. I just checked them out and to be honest at almost 3 grand USD ( core charge - blah blah) which right now is likely 5 grand CDN dollar with exchange and freight I will have to wait on such a purchase. I will get this , its all about more seat time - that's all :)
I agree with you 100%. That's why I don't have one. More fun to play with gears. ( PS. I still grind them once in a while)..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
CannonballRally

Well I got the problem solved - totally!

I ended up having my friend Don drop by as I was having complete engine failure every now and then. I would be driving along and it would just quit. No rhyme or reason either. While Don was here we changed the ignition switch, that was the culprit - 87 year old switch would just short out with no warning - Could happen while slowing down to make a turn regardless back to my point on downshifting...

What I learned is I watched Don drive my truck after the switch had been changed - I was just traveling too fast. All it took was for me to slow down and transmission worked flawlessly. 4th to 3rd no issue, even shifting down to second was not an issue.

I guess the lesson learned for me was truly step back in time. No hurry, smell the roses, enjoy the countryside drive. Now that I trusted the truck I took er to town and picked up a load of timber for a project. Grinning ear to ear :)
Attachments
1931-Model-AA-Pickup-Cannonball-Express-650PX.png
1931-Model-AA-Pickup-Cannonball-Express-650PX.png (675.3 KiB) Viewed 6816 times