32 BB cab/firewall mounting

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

32 BB cab/firewall mounting

Post by TomH »

We took the cab off our 32 BB to repair cracks in the rear cab mount area. It seems that 32 might be the only year that the cab and firewall are two separete parts. It seems that the cab was mounted with bushings or springs, because the front cab mount is approx. 1 1/2 in. above the frame. The firewall appears to have been mounted solid. I have attached some photos. The one showing the VIN shows the front firewall mount hole in front of the front cab mount hole. both are egg shaped. Also there is an indentation on the frame in the area of the front cab mount hole. Is this factory, or just worn in from the cab moving around? Does anyone have any info. on how the cab should be mounted? The VIN begins ABB502.
Attachments
bwebcabmountvin2.jpg
bwebcabmountvin2.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
bwebcabmount3.jpg
bwebcabmount3.jpg (15 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
bwebcabmount1.jpg
bwebcabmount1.jpg (18.03 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
Last edited by TomH on December 19th, 2009, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: 32 BB cab/firewall mounting, and VIN

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

TomH, My '32 frame has a dimple similiar to what you have, Except mine does not have the shaded scared lines you have on each side of hole. Don't know jack about cab mountings because My '32 BB has March '29 cab. My cab is setting on my serial #, But the AA in your serial # has been added over the years. Different tooling and to close to the star in front. My cab bolt hole are not egg shaped, but is close to frame edge like yours! Shelby, Louisiana.
steve s.
Body Type: BB204A
Model Year: 1932

Post by steve s. »

TomH, My 32 BB has a 34 cab , and the firewall from the 34 was removed so the 32 could be used, so probably 32 to 34 were all removeable. The front cab mounts you mention seem to break often, and most that I have seen have been welded. My serial number begins with a 51, but does not have the AA before it. Steve
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I have 1 '34 BB and the front cab mounts are broke up with no bolts. It has angle bar bolted to firewall and frame, no help. I have a '34 B pickup cab that is not broke in mount area, on both of them the cab and firewall are mounted as 1 piece. Shelby, Louisiana.
TomH

Post by TomH »

Shelby Steve S., Thanks for the replies. I was able to find this info about the 32 cab being the only 1 with a removable fire wall.
http://idisk.mac.com/forever4/Public/pa ... cation.htm

There is also a page on the same site that that says the early BB engines could have an AA or ABB prefix, but nothing of AAB. Going by just the numbers without the prefix, I'm guessing my engine is a Feb. 32 production.
http://idisk.mac.com/forever4/Public/pa ... umbers.htm
The number on my transmission adapter matches the frame. Another thing peculiar to 32's is that is the only year they didn't stamp the number on the engine.My engine is a 32, but I guess that doesn't prove that it is the original. I would really like to be able to see some photos of how the cab is mounted, or better yet get to actually see one in person.
TomH

Post by TomH »

I just found this earlier thread, that answers my VIN questions.
http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1184