AA U -Joint

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Tony G
Model Year: 1931

AA U -Joint

Post by Tony G »

Hi Guys,
My 1929 AA has a loose universal joint just behind the trans . I took it out and cleaned it and it has 2 holes worn oblong . This is the type thats riveted together. The truck has a 4 speed with a worm drive rear end. Are these joints available?I have visions of taking it apart & welding and reboring and building up the worn parts.Tell me this isnt necessary.

Tony G.
Old is good, New is bad
31syraNY
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1932

Re: AA U -Joint

Post by 31syraNY »

Hey Tony Iam not familier with the 28-29 but I had a 30-31 rebuilt at a local shop ....does yours have the wire retainer on the bushings ....they have to be popped out....
bud valerius
Model Year: 1930

Post by bud valerius »

The 4 speed transmission should have a bearing retainer that has gear teeth on it and a short shaft with female gear teeth to mate to the retaining gear on the rear of the transmission and only one u-joint to the drive shaft .I do have a couple of these retainers with inner shaft and outer cover
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Here is a picture of what Bud is talking about. This is the stock coupling shaft for behind a 4-speed. A coupling shaft with a u-joint behind the 4-speed is after market (released in '32 by Ford).
Attachments
xAA-4802-B Coupling Shaft Assembly 2a.jpg
xAA-4802-B Coupling Shaft Assembly 2a.jpg (92.95 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Model Year: 1931

Post by Tony G »

Thanks for the help and the photo. Mine is as Bud describes it and is riveted without removable caps or clips.As it worked out I found one that a friend had that came off of a 1931 and it hooks up perfectly and is the same diameter & length with servicable caps.

Tony G
Old is good, New is bad