well here i go

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

well here i go

Post by rollingsculpture »

hope your all well and enjoying the season , its cold here as everywhere , im starting my restore of a 1930 platform AA , im still in the "What have i gotten myself into stage" but can take inspiration from all the pics and info you have shown on this site . as best as i can tell i have a late 1930 model as it has the single bar front bumper , i discovered the transmission stamp and was surprised it was a wg cast 2/6/1931 ,any ideas about that would be appreciated as in how does a 1930 vehicle have a 31 tranny i have not seen the motor or frame #s to confirm the year but was greatly pleased when i saw the 736 stamped on the rear end!!!! ,im off to look for the motor # today , most of the truck is there and the platform was rebuilt a few years back , she has a lot of rust but i think its salvageable the bottom of the cab needs all new metal and the bottom of the cowl also any hints in the replacement of metal is appreciated i can do mig or tig with it or??? so how much rust is too much?
11_02_2.JPEG
11_02_2.JPEG (43.91 KiB) Viewed 3948 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: well here i go

Post by Neil Wilson »

It is my take that your truck is likely an early '31. That would resolve the question on the transmission casting date. A couple more pictures of the platform might confirm my thinking that it is 187-A which started production 3/31. Check the date on one of your wheels (must be removed to see the date). The '30 style wheels were used into early '31. However, after 70+ years, many changes could have been made.
Regards, Neil Wilson
REM

Post by REM »

Niced looking truck.
I love the look of the 30/31 comercial rad shell.
Have fun with the project.
rollingsculpture

thanks for the replies here is a pic of the platform
platform.jpg
platform.jpg (66.52 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
Attachments
platform lft r.jpg
platform lft r.jpg (63.02 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I wouldn't restore that piece of history. Just fix what needs fixin' and drive it.
rollingsculpture

really knuck? it has a bit of rust on bottom of cab and body seems impossible to fix without going the whole route i do know what you mean about the sense of history but it really does need a lot , the seats are just springs the #2 floorboard is worn thin the rims are pitted on the inside, rt fender is cracked ,rad shell is cracked on bottom , canvas top is gone,side windows are gone front and back windows have water marks between the glass , i can go on but i still havent been able to see if the engine runs plus all the dirt ya know you guys never talk about the cacked on mud and oil on the underside plus in the cab under the seat amazing!! yup she a project lucky for me i didnt get thrown out when i got her although there was a long day and night from the better half when she knew i was serious about it but as i told her its better than drinkin and chasing skirts besides i felt it was something i just had to do but dont know why,and ya know she respected that!!!
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The platform looks like the 187-A platform sold by Ford starting March 1931. Excluding front external stake pockets, the overall body dimensions were 80-3/8” wide by 105-9/16” long. So, you can verify what you have by these dimensions.
Regards, Neil Wilson