yr to yr diff in motors for A's -AA's

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

yr to yr diff in motors for A's -AA's

Post by rollingsculpture »

are there any real differences in motors since it turns out my truck engine was replaced im curious if any one was better than another . i was a little sad to see the ground off numbers and could just make out what looked to be 992 than an illegible possible 1 than 23 no a or aa or stars than below this on the head was a stamped number of 2-2412 with the letters M EE R i still need to lift the cab to see what thats all about but so far every indication on the trans and one wheel off so far show a 2-31 mfg date, ive read all 14 pages of posts and have seen thaty it was not unusual for the grind and renumber but i still felt a little robbed not getting to see the real numbers so i look forward to seeing the frame numbers . also wanted to ask about the rear diff stamp of 736 this was found on the edge of the casing where the two meet together so the stamp is half on one side and half on the other . no metal tags just the stamp . is this in the right place ? any chance it was not real .
rollingsculpture

Re: yr to yr diff in motors for A's -AA's

heres the pic of the diff stamp
rollingsculpture

any thoughts?
img][/img]
Attachments
diff stamp.jpg
diff stamp.jpg (60.43 KiB) Viewed 5576 times
diff stamp.jpg
diff stamp.jpg (60.43 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
bud valerius
Model Year: 1930

Post by bud valerius »

That is correct for a 5:14 gear . provided that the gears haven't been changed , & most likley they haven't . Not all had the metal tag .
rollingsculpture

bud thanks for the reply , i was glad to see the stamp but was not sure if it was factory or after the fact i am the 4th owner and #s 2 and 3 didnt do any work to the truck. does the stamp look right ? also i need to understand if any of the motors or years of production were better or worse than others. any thoughts would be good , any difference between A or AA stamped motors?
REM

Post by REM »

Other than some differences in early production engines there were not many significant changes made.
If restoring for high points some research might be in order to get a correct engine but for most purposes they are interchangeable.
The most visible change might be that some early engines had no side oil pipe and later the location of it changed slightly at some time.
rollingsculpture

thanks rem ,speaking of oil i notice my engine does not have an oil filter ,ive seen some where the cover on the carb side has a filter ,what year did those start and should i get that cover for mine ive seen them at brattons and early ford suppliers.
REM

Post by REM »

Model A's were never originally equipped with an oil filter.
There are several different after market kits available.
Whether you need one or not is kind of a personal call.
They used to run many miles without them and we subject them to much less of a dirty environment than they were originally operated in.
I personally feel that they are fine with regular oil changes and no filter but it certainly wouldn't hurt to add one if you wanted.
rollingsculpture

well i was able to get the cab up and the splash removed to finally see what the serial # was and have found it to be installed Feb 24, 1931. is there a registry for the AA owners and does anyone know how many trucks still survive?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

What is the complete ID on the frame? It should be AAnnnnnnn (with a star on each end).

The Ford Model AA Truck Club has a truck registry which covers the trucks owned by the membership (about 340 AA'ers). There are many more AA truck out there. I could not guess at the total number.
Regards, Neil Wilson
rollingsculpture

the stamp number is AA4385630 is there a registry for the motor # s also that can be used for the numbers that were stamped on after the fact?
do you know if steve plucker has done research on that ? his site is really great. ive been ammasing so much info from the net it would make a great book for someone interested in this stuff and im just at the tip of the iceburg .
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Your frame id is for a February 1931 engin assembly date. So, the engine would have been installed into a Feb. to April 1931 AA. The Judging Standards contains a list of engine numbers by year/month.
Regards, Neil Wilson