Starting up after a long sleep

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Starting up after a long sleep

Post by Brian T »

Hi everyone,
I have just joined the forum but I have been here as a guest for about six months I want to say thanks for all the good information in the forums , and a special thanks to Neil Wilson for his guidance .
I have a 1929 with a 88A Grain bed which I found in Wisconsin, formerly a museum piece, the last owner had it stored in a humidity and temperature controlled storage barn , not running but with rust free body and frame and free engine ,
I originally wanted a turn key truck, but soon tired of looking at pictures of over priced, non period, and without documentation as to what or how it was restored, so I settled on the one I have.
I have some work to do but nothing to big, the engine was running evenly the last time it ran judging by the spark plug color, I have cleaned the carburetor, but not yet refitted it.
This now leads me to my first requests for info.
#1 What to do before starting the engine that hasn’t ran for sometime , I shall be starting it on a separate fuel supply.
# 2 The fuel tank is very dirty, not sure if it is old varnish, rust or both? I would like to clean it in situ if possible, to avoid repainting,
Your help would be most appreciated
Brian T
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.