AA Jack Handle

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
akstraw
Body Type: Huckster
Model Year: 1929

AA Jack Handle

Post by akstraw »

I am at the point in my restoration where I am getting around to assembling the tool kit for my early '29 AA truck. I have read the description in the Restorer's Guide about the AA jack handle, but have never seen one. I am looking for some photos of the correct jack handle; also of the correct tire iron, so I know what I am searching for. I have the older version of the two AA jacks.

From the description, it sounds like it would not be too difficult to make a jack handle from steel barstock. Thanks is advance for your help. Of course, if any one has a jack handle and tire iron for sale, I'd be interested in that as well.

Happy New Year!
Andy
1929 AA Huckster - body by York
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Re: AA Jack Handle

Post by rollingsculpture »

saw a jack in the mod a swap at this site http://www.fordbarn.com/modaswap/
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA Jack Handle

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello akstraw,
The description of the jack handle in the Judging Standards is incorrect. It states that the handle is made of 1-1/4" flat steel. This will not fit the 1-1/16” jack handle opening on the jack. According to the engineering drawings of the AA-17081 handle confirm the 24” length and there is a spoon on one end but the drawing does not specify the width (it looks like it could be 1-1/4”). The bends on each end is indicated as 5” to where the bends start (most likely this is 4” from the center of the 15 degree bend area). There is a 3/8” hole on the end opposite of the spoon. It is 5/8” from the end to the center of the hole. The handle is 1” wide by 3/8” thick. The sides are rounded so that each face is 7/8” wide.

The release records show that the spoon was eliminated and changed to a tapered end on 4/14/30. The end of the taper is specified as 21/32”. The bends on each end are 5” to where the bends start and they are 15 degree bends.

The third type is not specified in the information which I have. It would have to have been after 5/2/30 since I have the drawing for this date.
Regards, Neil Wilson