leave it alone or restore

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

leave it alone or restore

Post by rollingsculpture »

just an obsevation that some people consider the un restored truck to be authentic and serves the historical purpose of displaying use and time worn longevity of the vehicle as made , i was curious what most people would do if they were given the chance to redo thier own truck again :strategic repairs or all out frame up?
steve s.
Body Type: BB204A
Model Year: 1932

Re: leave it alone or restore

Post by steve s. »

Personally, I like to see trucks in original condition. A great example of such a truck is Leiv's AA in Norway. I don't claim to be a purist, and I do like a restored truck as much as anyone, but sometimes a shiny truck with sparkling chrome is like a woman with a lot of makeup on, you just can't be sure what's underneath. A truck in original condition doesn't fool anyone -it is what it is , and to me it has a character about it that often cannot be improved with body putty or new paint. Yes, a lot of trucks need to be refurbished because their condition demands it, and a lot of people have a strong desire to return their truck to Factory original condition.
In the end, the important thing is that somebody saved an old truck from being lost, and they enjoyed themselves doing it. Steve
REM
Model Year: 1930

Post by REM »

Condition oftens dictates what you do.

This is my first one and pretty much left no choice except a complete restore/rebuild.
It still isn't finished but has been a fun project so far.

This one was found while looking for doors for the first one and is really too good as is to restore. It has been fun to work on and drive while doing the other. It is a real crowd pleaser and has really hepled keep my intrest in the restoration of the other one.

I quess two is just better than one.
Richard

ps. The second one has been invaluable for a reference in building the other.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

A good coat of paste wax will save the patina and stop further rusting. Rust needs air to spread. Wax cuts off the air.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

REM, You have a nice 28/29 grain body. I'd love to have something like it just for a driver. Is it a dump grain body? What is the wheel/pulley/sproket just behind the cab used for?
REM

Post by REM »

Yes.
It is a grain dump.
The box is home made but pretty well made and the hoist is a Little Giant. I was lucky enough to get the literature for the lift with it.
The lift works quite well. It has two different reductions I suppose for lifting empty or full. It raises very easy empty and looks like it would with a load also because of the overhang on the bed.
This pic shows the lift better.
A chain goes over a sprocket at the top and around the shaft/sprocket at the bottom. The chain is a full loop and fastened to the floor of the bed at the front to raise the box.
A crank turns the shaft through the reduction gears you see and raises the box.

My favorite part of the truck is the tin roof. The wood in the top was rotted out and I have replaced it but am putting the tin foof back on. It has pencil markings above the door where someone has kept track of the # of loads or something.
That is my son in the truck not me. He has really taken to this thing.
It is really slow and not good for much but parades or around town but it is different and a lot of fun.

toolhawk1

Post by toolhawk1 »

I personally enjoyed bringing back my 1st truck back to it original glory to the best of my ability . I would love tho have 1 in untouched original condition that I could drive, but that truck has not found me yet. It depends on the condition of your find and your skills to restore 1 , I was lucky I worked in a collision shop when younger and restored classics when things were slow, who knew that would pay off! , and now teach machining and fabrication at a University that allows me to use the shop. It is VERY $$$$$ to do 1 right , parts, travel , paint materials are big $s not to mention a place to do all this. However you do it is great !!!! I just hate to se them changed i.e. (chopped, hot rods)
DSC01779.JPG
DSC01779.JPG (49.17 KiB) Viewed 6191 times
DSC01673.JPG
DSC01673.JPG (49.44 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
Attachments
DSC01715.JPG
DSC01715.JPG (43.5 KiB) Viewed 6189 times
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

Toolhawk, Is the steering wheel on your standrive a special one? It looks different in the picture from the normal Model A steering wheels. What a neat project. Was it used as a Milk delivery truck? How much body rust is in it? Where did you find it?
tandemAA

Post by tandemAA »

Do you think my truck would look any better "restored"?
Attachments
coupe truck quarter smaller.jpg
coupe truck quarter smaller.jpg (62.36 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
coupe truck side smaller.jpg
coupe truck side smaller.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
REM

Post by REM »

Personally I like it the way it is.
I might try to find a weathered hood that pretty well matched the rest of the truck and a weathered painted AA rad shell.
Is it mechanically pretty sound?
I like it. Definitely different.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

Tandem, That truck of your's is Too Good! Does the tandem use two differentials or is the second axle a non pulling axle. I love the coupe stretch look. Where did you find it? If it were mine, I'd leave it together and paint the rusty parts with something like POR, and a top coat of black to keep it from getting worse.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

WOW! While it is not really an AA I love it. American ingenuity at its best.