Installing motor

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Barney1930
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Installing motor

Post by Barney1930 »

I have just got ahold of a running engine for my 1928 AA (motor no. AA1643450). I intend to use the existing tranny. (it is a 3 sp with a 2 speed transfer case ie "heel and toe")
Isn't it easiest over all to pull the tranny with the old engine and connect the new engine and old tranny and then reinstall the complete assembly?
Barney
steve s.
Body Type: BB204A
Model Year: 1932

Re: Installing motor

Post by steve s. »

Barney,
I'd say that if you don't need to remove the transmission, you'd be better off to leave it in place and just remove and replace the engine. it would save a lot of time and effort. By the way, your 2 speed is an auxillary transmission, not a transfer case. A transfer case is used to transfer power to a driven front axle, as in a four wheel drive. Steve.
E.Moore
Model Year: 1930

Re: Installing motor

Post by E.Moore »

I have to agree with Barney. It is easier to remove & reinstall the engine from & to the transmission than it is to pull and reinstall the engine & transmission together. You can support the transmission by a variety of methods, but a floor jack usually works well under the transmission to support it while the engine is being pulled out and reinstalled. Sometimes it can be difficult to get the transmission input shaft back into the clutch disc, so sometimes it helps to have the transmission in gear so that rocking the engine back and forth can often align the transmission shaft to the clutch disc. If one of the motor mounts gets in the way, remove one of them until the engine can be bolted back onto the bell housing. Sometimes the chassis has to be spread apart to get everything back into position, so a frame spreader is used to accomplish that task. Colorful language often fills the air during this job.