Rear axles

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
pops

Rear axles

Post by pops »

I have an early 1930 AA chassis, with a four speed transmission, worm drive rear end and wire wheels.

1. Is is it possible to change out the rear end with a high speed ring and pinion set up?

2. If so, what additional parts need to be changed (brakes, brake rods...)?

3. Can I easily put my old AA wire wheels on the new axle set up?

Thanks,
Scott
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Scott,
Unless someone switched rear axles in your truck, it is not an early '30. Only the '28/'29 AA's had the worm drive axles. The steel spoke wheels were used through January '29.

The February '30 Ford Service Bulletin tells what to do the switch to a '30/'31 style rear axle. Your brake rods should be usable.

You can bolt the steel spoke wheels to the '30/'31 axle. But you will need to remove the wheel each time you grease the hub.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Guest »

Thanks Neil. I found the service bulletin you referenced. The truck has the 29 cowl and the 30 filler neck. It is quite possible the rear end was changed to allow for the use of the spoked wheels without doing any machining.

I should have also stated that my real goal is to be able to drive the truck at 45 mph with the engine running comfortably. I have heard that the worm drive rear ends don't last long when they are run at high speeds, such as with a Warford over drive. Does anyone know if that is true?

Thanks,
Scott
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Scott,
I know that the worm gear is made of bronze and is the part which is usually worn out. This may be due to lubrication (I don't know). The worm itself is usually not worn much since it is made of steel.
Regards, Neil Wilson