regarding the rear springs

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Re: regarding the rear springs

Post by Brian T »

Hello Smilebigtt,
Keep us posted on the progress with your rear spring rebuilding , (pictures if possible) use some Locktite metal adhesive to fix the bushings in place, I shall be doing the same work later this year.
I have just taken all the slack out of my rear spring shackles with bushings and pins, my axle was over to the right 1-2 inches and I had to do a little shade tree shimming to center it so she would not dog leg down the road.
I did this so I could drive the truck to evaluate the running gear etc, to see what was needed elsewhere, gearbox , drive shaft etc.
To remove my springs I will have to remove the rear fenders , aprons and running boards which looks to be a lot of work,
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: regarding the rear springs

Post by spectria »

TruckMan wrote:I meant the TRUCK body weight. By the way, mine runs about 1200 lbs.

I should have asked how much travel you've got before your helper springs engage. If you can keep them from "helping" during normal operation, they do add quite a visual element. AA springs are already impressive as they are. In fact, a yard of sand, between 3900 and 4200 lbs just makes my truck sit level. I have steel spoke single wheels on the '28 with 6.00 x 20 front, 6.50 x 20 rear tires, just FYI.

Truck Man
I knew what you meant :)

Could you post a photo of your set-up with the load on?

Thanks
Dave
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org