Did Hydraulic brakes on big trucks also begin in 1939?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Does anyone know the first year for hydraulic brakes on the 1 1/2 ton Fords? Where can I learn more? Thanks
alan w

hydraulic brakes for 39's

Post by alan w »

For Fords, the year that hydraulics appeared was 1940. Found that out when looking for hyd's for my AA. Other mfg's had them earlier on, but Henry wasn't one of them. My search through reputable salvage yards confirmed this as when asked if the front and rear brakes were hyd or mechanical when offered a 39 set-up, they always responded mechanical. If you're looking for hyd. brakes for your AA check out the posts on that very subject on this forum. I put my two cents to add to the confusion.
popcorn-guy
Model Year: 1930

Post by popcorn-guy »

The post "chassis swap", just prior to yours, contains the info. on Hollander's Interchange Manuals that I posted and will assist you in researching these projects. Not inclusive, but very useful books packed with information.

Sorry, should have included the above in the first post.
Bruce Wayne

1939 first year of hydraulic 1 1/2 ton brakes

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Since my question in December 2003, I have consulted the 'Green Bible' and have learned that, Yes, Ford began using hydraulic brakes on the 1 1/2 ton trucks in 1939.
popcorn-guy

Post by popcorn-guy »

You're correct. I had not consulted the "green bible" and took a look when I saw your post Bruce. As I had been interested in only the 1 tons from 39-47, as they have the same bolt pattern as a AA, I limited my research to Hollander. My experience to date has been that the "39" drivetrain parts have been represented to me as having mech. brakes. In an attempt to verify the year of the parts I asked if they had an open or closed driveline. Closed has been the answer when it was stated that they were 39. It could be that there has been a misidentification on their part, especially if the parts are not on the vehicle. If the 39's do have hyd. brakes and a closed driveline (on the 1 ton's) then the conversion to a AA would be facilitated much more easily.

Unfortunately we cannot parallel 1.5 ton 39-47's to the AA's as they don't come close to each other mechanically. They may be rated the same but at best they are distant cousins IMHO. The late 1.5 ton vehicles to start have a 5 on 8" bolt pattern which I believe will begin to raise the cost at the onset and most likely will have the same problem as the 41 rear axle that I have and that being the full floating hub.

For those of us who own an AA, it would be a blessing if someone would figure out a reliable conversion utilizing AA backing plates or produced backing plates patterned after the AA plates and incorporated hyd. cyl's that would work with the stock shoes. I'm not a machinist nor do I have the background in manufacturing to accomplish a project of this type. Like so many others I'm backyard engineering it.

I'm glad you made the post as I will not start the machine work on this 1 ton axle I have until I search deeper into the 39 aspect. I would prefer to keep the closed drive line as it would simplify the project and retain the stock appearance. If one of us can find and verify that a 39 1 ton driveline does have hyd. brakes then I believe we will have the answer to our wishes.

Thanks again for the post.
popcorn-guy

Post by popcorn-guy »

Bruce, I have posted additional information on the transition from mech. to hyd. brakes under "juice brakes for the AA". Thanks to your input it would appear that the gained information will facilitate an easier transition for such a project. Not all is finalized as to weather or not all information is absolutely correct or not, but it is coming along incrementally. I'm hopeful that this project can be worked out for all to benefit by it. If you come upon a 39 1 ton driveline please contact me and enlighten me as to what you find.
bruce wayne

Post by bruce wayne »

I have a 39 1 1/2 ton. I have only seen one 1939 1 ton in my life. Its in Marshall Texas, was bought new by the owners father.
popcorn-guy

Post by popcorn-guy »

Does your 39 1.5 ton have hyd. brakes and a closed or open driveline? I had another individual indicate that he has a 39 3/4 ton and that it has the same axle. A check in Hollanders confirms that, so maybe it will expand the possibilities for finding a compatible axle for those who want to convert their AA's.

Post by Guest »

Yes, Hydraulic brakes on my 39 and an enclosed driveshaft
popcorn-guy

Post by popcorn-guy »

Thank you. That helps to claify a number of items which will assist those of us attempting to convert to hyd. brks on our AA's.
Drew Mashburn

1st Hydraulic Brakes for Ford 1 1/2-ton Trucks

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Refer to this book: "Ford Chassis Parts and Accessories Catalogue". It includes trucks 1928 thru 1947. Copyright 1950 by Ford Motor Company.
The first year it shows juice-brakes is 1940.
Drew Mashburn