Four Speed Transmission

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
AAJoe
Model Year: 1930

Four Speed Transmission

Post by AAJoe »

I recently bought a late '29 AA stake bed with a transmission beyond repair. Are all the standard AA transmissions interchangeable?

Have a Great Day!
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The '28 and '29 (through Sept.) AA's used the Model A 3-speed transmission. In about Sept. '29 the four speed was introduced and used for the remainder of production.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Brady
Body Type: None

AA four speed trans

Post by Brady »

I have 7 or 8 of the T-8 four speeds, and I'd like to find some tech literature on rebuilding. I have the Shilds AA book, but is there anything else out there more detailed and indepth ?
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

Neil, I have a 1929 AA with the 3 speed and had just assumed it was not original, thinking that all of them had the 4 speed. Thanks for posting that alot of them actually were 3 speeds! Would you happen to know a website where I can check the vehicle ID # to see when mine was made? Thanks.

Gerald
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Original AA's for all but about 2 months in early '28 had an engine number which starts with AA followed by a numeric. This engine number was stamped on the frame (top of left side member about where the brake and clutch peddles are). The cab covers the number.

If your engine has an AAxxxxxx number, it is probably original. Send the number to me at wilsmor@juno.com and I can tell you when the engine number was manufactured.

The number does not tell where the truck was assembled.
Regards, Neil Wilson