FRONT BRAKES

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

FRONT BRAKES

Post by Brian T »

I have several questions regarding my front brakes prior to replacing them.

# 1 It seems that all suppliers only have the cast iron drums for sale ?, which I understand require bonded or composite linings not the woven material, can steel drums still be purchased, and what is better?.

# 2 I am not sure if I have front steel or cast iron drums on my 29 AA truck , although it does have woven linings which need replacing, how can I easily distinguish if it has steel drums.

# 3 If my drums are near the safety limits I may use the drum reinforcement bands, any comments or experience with these.

# 4 There are several brake floater kits for sale , one for around $25 and the brake energizer kit for $130 , does the latter kit come with pieces that you would probably need to replace to repair the brakes?.

Thanks in advance, Brian T.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1930

Re: FRONT BRAKES

Post by smilebigtt »

I don't know squat about front brakes, but that sure is one shape ride.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

The cast iron drums are easy to identify by looking at the texture of the drum. The steel drums are smooth, and the cast oron drums have the rough texture of a sand mold, that cast iron drums were poured into. The cast iron drums have a texture similar to the engines and transmissions. The steel drums are from stampings of thick sheet steel.

If your drums are near the limits, DO NOT use any kind of drum reinforcing band as a band-aid fix. Those bands are used to prevent drums from excessive expansion during heavy braking. When the brake drum is worn out, replace it.

If you are considering brake floaters, your truck must have the same brakes as the passenger car. You'll have to contact the vendor to see what the difference is between the two kits.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The reproduction brake drums are for the A and will not work on the AA. If you need drums, you will have to find some good used drums and hopefully with the hubs and wheel bolts included. You will need the '29 front hubs/drums for your '29 AA. I don't know of any cast iron front drums for the '28/'29 AA.

I have installed the floaters on my front brakes ('28 AA). The '28 and '29 AA's have the same brakes on the front.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Thank you E Moore and Neil for the information , glad I asked before buying the drums , I am making a list of what I need to repair the brakes , can I assume that all the other parts , shoes and other pieces etc are the same as the A car 11 inch brakes ?.
I wouldn’t think there is much chance of finding good used ones, where would I look for NOS drums?
Neil which one of the brake floater kits did you install the small kit or the one that Flat Head Ted developed?
Brian T.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Brian,
I don't know where you can find NOS AA front brake drums. I guess, just advertise here and on Fordbarn.

Excluding the brake drums, the '28/'29 front brake parts are all the same as the A (including backing plates).

I don't think Flat Head Ted brake parts were in existance back when I did my installation. I believe I got my front A.C. & R. in Redding, CA 503-222-0228 (probably 5-8 years ago).
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by bud valerius »

I have a set of NOS 28/29 AA front brake drums $330.00 includes shipping (USA) only . If thats your truck in the photo it appears to be a 29 . These drums are both right hand threads . I can replace one with NOS left hand studs if thats what you need for an extra $ 15.00. Bud Valerius
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Thanks Bud,
I will let you know about the drums, when I was looking the truck over awhile back for needed repairs, the brakes needed work for sure, I did not measure them at time but I was going to put on new drums anyway, until I found out the cast ones won’t fit.
If they are very near to minimum I will replace them, not much chance of finding used ones anyway, and I shall keep you posted.
Brian T.