the many rust solutions

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1930

the many rust solutions

Post by smilebigtt »

Of those who have used a wipe on, brush on, spray on rust removal or rust converter product, what is your opinion. This would be for a frame and body de-rusting.
John - NNY

Re: the many rust solutions

Post by John - NNY »

I am going to try the POR-15 method. I have heard many great things about it.
John
NNY
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

im told the por 15 is good if painted by brush but the spray on is deadly toxic im looking at the eastman products and have an interest in the ospho as well.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Did you see the 1/2 pg picture in the Restorer last year of the red pu with all the American flags behind it? Had dinner with the owner tonight and ask him that very question. He is a retired Auto Shop teacher. Told me Por-15 with a brush first then when it gets tacky, follow with Chassis Coat Black. Also gave me another tip. Buy the Mix pack so you get Por-15 in the smaller cans. He said Por-15 can be difficult to work with in larger cans. Top layer dries to a hard film. He also recommended placing a piece of clear plastic (like Siran wrap) over the can before sealing the lid. If the lid is not sealed completely, Por-15 will harden in the can. Roy
Bender

Post by Bender »

i used Mar-hyde rust converter on my chassis that was outside for 30 years.

wire brush the loose rust away....no blasting...you need rust just not loose rust.
then i thinned the converter a little with water then brushed it on...after a few minutes it turns black... added another coat and after it dries you can hardly scratch it.. its tough and black and kinda shiney.. it looks like milk going on
i paid 24 bucks for a quart and it did the whole chassis with some left over..

bender
Attachments
this is after the rust converter
this is after the rust converter
8w.jpg (81.69 KiB) Viewed 3225 times