more paint

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bender
Model Year: 1930

more paint

Post by Bender »

got some more painting done.... i've been sitting in it making engine noises when no one else is around
icouldn't help myself with the thermoquail....i just had to have it

jeff
Attachments
painted3.jpg
painted3.jpg (60.07 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
painted3.jpg
painted3.jpg (60.07 KiB) Viewed 3720 times
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Re: more paint

Post by rollingsculpture »

your all right man ! nice paint did you do it? you had a blue body to start with if i recall , im still trying to decide if im going to keep the blue or change completely i was told the blue was what was released to the general public when the truck was not used commercially,if true thats a bit of history i may want to keep in restoring which i can only imagine for now as im still taking out dents in the rear cab top and corners , the metal is so responsive and im impressed with how well it moves back into place. your looking good though, is the motor out of it ? why only noises, are you doing the motor work and if so.. hows it going ? also you have the high speed rear also if i recall so keep us posted on how thats working out , let us new guys know what work youve done yourself and what else works. its great to have others around who have gone to it and can tell the tales.
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed

Post by smilebigtt »

Nice lookin
Bender

Post by Bender »

when i got he truck it had been brush painted black.... rock moss green was the original color. I found it under the other 5 layers of paint. i did do the paint..shot it outside on three diffrent days that the temps got close to 50 then moved the parts back into the "warm" 60 deg hangar.
the engine is installed and it runs but it's not all hooked up yet. i'm to the point of bolting things down for the last time and running wires and fuel lines so it won't be long.
i have the 6.60 rear axle..not to excited about that but until i can find a 5.14 i'll be the really slow old truck in everones way.
one of the rear wishbones was bent and the metal stretched a bit..... so i cut itin half at the worst part of the bend and took the bend out then cut away about an 1/8th of and inch to get things all lined up again and welded it back together..
i replaced sheet metal all the way aroud the cab about 6 inces high and beat out many dents and welded up holes.
i've been trying to make it as original as i can.... expecting some screws in today to get the tank attached for good.

i can't wait to drive it

jeff
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed

Post by smilebigtt »

what type and brand paint did you use? for the cooler temps, how and with what did you mix the paint?
Bender

Post by Bender »

the green is sherwin williams automotive paint line called demension. it's a urathane enamel so its mixed with hardener to cure. no other additives except some reducer. the black is also urathane but it is kirker brand.... there is a local paint store that sells the kirker really cheap. the price is right and i've never had a problem with it. its something like 35 bucks for 3/4 of a gallon. you add a quart or hardener/catylist to get a gallon. the demension paint was a great deal also at $170 for a gallon of rock moss green, a qt of hardener and a gallon of reducer. and sherwin williams is on almost every jet i've worked on.

jeff
Bender

Post by Bender »

got the top nailed on this week and the gas tank all bolted in.... wednesday the parts for my steering box showed up too....getting close

jeff
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (55.51 KiB) Viewed 3474 times