Spring U bolts

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Spring U bolts

Post by Brian T »

The rear springs on my 29 AA have the U bolts with the nuts at the top , when did they start installing them with the nuts at the bottom , I cannot access the chassis # ( as much as I would like to) , the engine and cab date are May 29 , thanks in advance .
Brian T.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Spring U bolts

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Brian,
Sorry, I don't know the conversion date for the rear spring clips. The "U" shaped clips also require a different pivot. I have a Sept. 1929 AA with the older style spring set up. The springs have been apart and an extra leaf added. So, I don't know if this truck came originally with the old set up. My March 1929 AA truck has the old set up and this looks original.

Working on rear springs is not easy and very hard when the truck has the long aprons and rear wheels!
Regards, Neil Wilson
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Brian T »

Hi Neil,
As you may recall you gave me some advice regarding my rear axle that is off center to the right approximately 1 inch or so , and you advised removing the springs and resetting them , your comment regarding how difficult it is to work on the rear springs with the aprons and long running boards became immediately apparent .
I decided to loosen only the rear U bolts and the center bolt as the forward U bolt is under the aprons, which appear to be a lot of work to remove, we then tried with wooden blocks and large hammer to knock into alignment with some success, however the right lower leaf appears warped, there are no cracks in it, and springs back to the right when forced over.
I did notice that the left spring seat bushing and pin is very badly worn, I will replace both sides next week, when the axle is unladed the worm gear plate will now be almost dead center but the axle is still some what to the right.
Is it possible that the right lower spring leaf as become warped from sitting in this position for a long time? , can replacement leaves be found?
Brian T.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Brian,
I have never taken a rear spring off of a vehicle with the long aprons and rear fenders. But, it must be possible. So, I would think that the spring would need to be removed as a complete assembly by removing the front shackle bolt, the rear spring pin, and the pivot nut. The spring woud need to be tilted up at the rear to clear the backing plate and then the complete assembly moved outward to come off the pivot bracket shaft. This removal procedure is only my guess!!! This would give you the ability to replace the pivot bushing and spring bushings as well (if needed).

Once the complete spring is removed, it can be examined to determine what needs replacement. I might have some complete springs to sell. But, the shipping cost would be too much. Maybe someone in your area (California I think) has AA parts to sell.

I don't know how the #1 spring leaf would get warped.
Regards, Neil Wilson