How do I take the glass out of the doors?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Barney1930
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

How do I take the glass out of the doors?

Post by Barney1930 »

Have a May 29 AA. I need to take out the door window glass to install new weather stripping and replace one of the window glass. I did this once a long time ago, but seem to have had a brain f*rt and can't recall. :oops:
Can anyone help?
Barney
REM
Model Year: 1930

Re: How do I take the glass out of the doors?

Post by REM »

Basically take off the door panel and the trim off the inside around the window opening. The glass should pull to the inside at the top and come up far enough to come out. The channel probably must pull in with the glass. The ones I have done didn't have much channel left and the glass was broken to make removal easy but this should get you headed the right way.
Barney1930

Post by Barney1930 »

I've taken the inside sill off (held by 4 screws), taken the 3 screws off the upper trim, but the trim doesn't seem to want to come loose/off. Does it slide up? or should it just pop off?
The weather stripping must be damaged down in the door, because the window won't slide down when i turn the regulater handle.
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Barney,
The instructions for window glass repairs are on pages -363-364 Vol#1 of the Model A mechanics handbook , I cannot scan anything at the moment , I am sure someone here would send you a copy of those pages .
I have just posted this on Ford Barn also.
Brian T.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Barney1930

Post by Barney1930 »

Well, I got them out, but there is not much help describing how the "trim" is removed. Once i figured out that it had to slide UP, things moved fairly quickly.
Attachments
P2270082.JPG
P2270082.JPG (62.55 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
jimboy
Body Type: AA

Post by jimboy »

Thank you for this Post I had the exact same problem the book tells you what screws to remove, however it omits the fact that there are screws that you can not see directly behind the verticle sections of the door sill, nor can you get to them, The key here is you have to slide the door sill up to remove. THANK YOU for the help.
Jimboy