Hub Puller Reply

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
dyoungs
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

Hub Puller Reply

Post by dyoungs »

I am sorry... Someone sent me a question about the hub puller that I made a while back but I have been very busy with getting ready for deployment. I do not have any pictures of the actual puller in action but I did a quick scetch on a word document. The puller and the truck are all packed away in storage for a year or so until I get back. I hope this helps and you can understand what I tried to draw.

Mike in Maine ... how goes it... I miss driving... she is all packed up and up on blocks....
Dave
dyoungs
Body Type: AA

Re: Hub Puller Reply

Post by dyoungs »

ok it did not take the attachment... Does anyone know how to attach a word document so that it is in the open state to see the drawing?
Dave
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1930

Post by smilebigtt »

Can't wait to see the drawing, but more importantly, best of luck on your deployment. Find the deepest foxhole and stay in it. Thanks for your service.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

if you use a mac , take a screen shot ( press control ,which is the apple button , shift and the number 3 . that takes a picture of the screen and makes a pdf file . than open that file in preview, when open go to the file menu and click on export , choose to save as a jpeg file ,check the hide extension box and open the option selection which will allow you to save the file size , to get a small enough file to post here . choose the target size at 70kb. name the file and save once saved check the file info to be sure it saved below 100kb if so than you can attach and preview, if it looks good submit.

Dyoungs im sorry to hear youve got to go out again, i know from your other posts youve done a tour of duty already, and probably several, i hope you can stay safe and your men all do the same. i look forward to seeing you back here posting and enjoying your family and the aa youve worked on as soon as they can get you back home. best of luck on everything you do!!
John - NNY

Post by John - NNY »

Here is a picture of DYoung's puller in action. He was kind enough to let me borrow it for my hubs. I was able to pull all 8 hubs off of the frames I have. Luckly, I don't live that far from him. It is very heavy so shipping would have been out of the question.

A few pointers:
- loosen the axle nut only about 1/8". When the hub lets loose, it can go flying.
- Make sure the threadded rods are adjusted to the same length. If one is ~1/16" short, all the stress is on that one rod and could break. My guess is that some hubs took up to 6-10 tons before they poped. It sounds like a shotgun shooting a brake drum.

Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B

Post by Mike in Maine »

Dave, It is so good to see your post. I think of you often when working on this old iron. I often wonder what you are doing and where on this planet you are. Give my best to your family and do take care of yourself. Oh, and Thank you for your Dedication and Service. "This We'll Defend".
Mike
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Dave,
Please watch your butt, I am hoping and praying for your safe return...
Be safe, I like your puller!!!

Dave Zappa,
From California
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
rollingsculpture

does anyone have a pic of what the dealers used to get the hubs off it seems that most people are having to make their own unit or borrow one if they can , ive seen 3 variations and dyoungs is the most heavy duty i cant believe it is so hard to get the things off ,i can imagine most rear brakes are shot since people have susch a hard time with the hub and never get to replacing them , im still needing to make a puller myself , what are the posibilties of the studs coming out with the pullers weve seen on this site so far?
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Here is the K. R. Wilson hub puller for the Timken bearing AA's. Notice it also pulls by the studs.
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

What about this. Go find a nut that will screw onto the center of the hub where I'm guessing the wheel cap screws on. With the nut screwed on, install a bearing splitter behind it. Attach the forked puller to the splitter and it comes off slicker then greased glass? This is what I'm going to try this week.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

tt,

Did you say at one point that you had some rusted wheels?

There is a puller on here somewhere that illustrated taking a standard heavy duty axle puller with 3 jaws that attach to axles studs (not the AA studs).

The rusted wheel center is bolted in place on the AA axle, it has been modified with automotive studs located in range of the standard puller (which WON'T attach directly to AA Studs), they have been installed (drilled new holes) into the old wheel.

The center puller Threaded shaft is then tightened to the end of the axle until some pain is experienced in your hands.

At this point, stand back to AA, 4 pound sledge in hand, staying clear of the puller and axle, and strike the end of the puller shaft in the direction of the axle.

The extreme tension on the shaft plus the striking on the end, will generally shock the hub off.

It may come only a little way the first strike, requireing retensioning the puller, then striking again.

It may come off like an explosion, sooooo

Ear and eye protection advised!

I advise against using the hub cover threads for this purpose.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

smilebigtt wrote:What about this. Go find a nut that will screw onto the center of the hub where I'm guessing the wheel cap screws on. With the nut screwed on, install a bearing splitter behind it. Attach the forked puller to the splitter and it comes off slicker then greased glass? This is what I'm going to try this week.
Good luck.
Please video this and put it on U tube so we can all have a chuckle.
PS, Good luck finding that nut.
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

Chuckle? Come on Chris, whats not to work. Beats my other idea of getting out my "CUTTING" torch.
rollingsculpture

i wondered about the same possibility of using the hub threads but a nut that size and fine threaded seemed not easily found but more to the point was the very thin grip that would be provided with those threads could shear off with what seems a great amount of pressure being applied to remove the drum , best advice so far was to loosen the hub nut slightly and drive/push a little distance to break loose the fit than use a puller , so is it hard to get the drums seated back on?.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Because I had a puller for A hubs, here is the set up that I use for AA hubs. The puller is bolted to a bad '30/'31 wheel because it is not designed to fit the AA 3/4" hub bolts. Once the bad wheel is bolted to the hub, the puller can be used as normal. I plan on cutting the center out of the wheel (close to the rim) to reduce the weight.

I also have cut the center out of a '29 AA wheel and drilled it to accept the puller. Consequently I can pull '28/'29 rear hubs. I just used it to pull a '28 rear hub a couple of days ago.

I have had '30/'31 hubs which have required the use of heat along with the puller.

Note that if the brake shoes are tight against the drum, this puller is not big enough to do the job.
Attachments
AA Rear Hub Puller 1.jpg
AA Rear Hub Puller 1.jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 12645 times
Regards, Neil Wilson