Open Coupling Shaft

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Open Coupling Shaft

Post by Bob C »

Does anybody have a AA with an open coupling shaft that they could tell
me what type of seal was used at the differential.
Bob C

Re: Open Coupling Shaft

Post by Bob C »

open shaft
Attachments
drive shaft 2.JPG
drive shaft 2.JPG (90.04 KiB) Viewed 9123 times
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1930

Post by smilebigtt »

Thank you for the photo. It confirmed a different issue for me. Was this open shaft a ford thing or was it an after market idea?
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

I would say it's after market since it is not in any of the Ford
parts books.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Bob:

The "coupling shaft" is basically an extension in the driveline that links the rear of the transmission to the front of the torque-tube (main driveline). So, I don't see what the coupling shaft would have to do with a seal clear back at the differential. Maybe I don't understand for what info you're asking. Can you be more specific?

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Sorry, what I was asking about was what the seal looks like where the coupling shaft enters
the torque tube at the cross member.
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B

Post by Mike in Maine »

From a 1930 AA torque tube. Grease retainer nearest the torque tube bell. Does your tube have one or two grease fittings. Just wondering?
Attachments
torque tube.jpg
torque tube.jpg (62.72 KiB) Viewed 8993 times
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Mike:

Great photo! Hopefully, it'll be of assistance to Bob. Do you have photos that you can post of the gasket that goes under the rear end of the thin metal coupling shaft housing and the front edge of the frame cross-member? And, do you have photos of the inside of the two clam-shells (specifically the recessisons for the seal) that bolt over the front of the torque tube. They also bolt to the backside of the cross-member I just mentioned. I believe Bob would like to see the gasket (seal) that goes inside the clam-shells and the gasket that goes between them and the cross-member. And, the gasket that goes on the front of the same cross-member. Do you know where these gaskets/seals might be purchased?

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Robert Gray

Post by Robert Gray »

Mike, Mine has two grease fittings. Both on drivers side, one just ahead and one just aft of where the speedo connection is on the other side.
Bob
Mike in Maine

Post by Mike in Maine »

Drew, I copied this from Ford Service Bulletin of January 1930, page 415. It is a cross section which may be of more help. The felts can be purchased from most vintage parts suppliers. I bought mine from Bratton's. Hope this is what you had in mind.
Mike
Attachments
COUPLER.jpg
COUPLER.jpg (91.24 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
Mike in Maine

Post by Mike in Maine »

Bob, I was interested in whether one or two grease fittings because a change was made in June 1930.
One fitting was added ahead ( toward xmbr ) of the other fitting to assure more grease was getting to the u-joint. Hope all is well with you and progress is being made. :D
Mike
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

The seal I am asking about would only be used on the after market open coupling shaft.
There is a mark on the after market yoke from a seal. I assume there was some type of plate
with a seal in it to keep dirt out of the torque tube.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Mike:

Thanks.

Bob:

Good luck!

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

I have seen those open driveshafts on Russian AA trucks. There is no torque tube. The driveshaft is completely open from the transmission intermediate shaft all the way to the diferential. There were no rear radius rods on those trucks either, and the brakes were hydraulic. The torque tube has to be in place in order for the radius rods to be used to hold the rear brake and emergency brake actuator levers in place, unless a special bracket was made for the brake levers on trucks that used rod brakes without the torque tube. I don't have any other information on part numbers or special part applications, other than to say that parts do exist to accomplish a completely open driveshaft on an AA. The Russian AA trucks originally came with torque tube and all other parts like the USA made AA. The open driveshaft trucks have been modified.
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

In the July 1932 Ford Service Bulletins page 35 fig.51 is a drawing of a coupling shaft that appears to be open for the AA truck. This was a new part for the previous model. Might be worth a look.
Hayslip