gotta love your friends

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1930

gotta love your friends

Post by smilebigtt »

Boy did I luck out. Because my friend was tired of this deal taking up so much room in his parts room I got to benefit. I bought four new tires, tubes, flaps and wheels for $500.00. He's had then for a year and was tired of having to walk around them. On top of that, I told him I would have to do the lay-away plan. He was good this that, but he demaned I had to take the tires now to get then out of his way. He knows, I'm good for the money because he knows, I know his real job is firefighter and that they know how to start fires and well as put them out. :shock:
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: gotta love your friends

Post by Chris Haynes »

It seem like a lot of people make the mistake of running out and buying new tires for a restortion project that is going to take them years to do. By the time it is don't the tires are old and sometimes weather cracked if the project is in the weather.
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

This guy restores car for people as a side job when not fighting fires and getting cats out of trees. The tires and wheels were bought to go on a truck when the owner decided he want to he wanted wires instead. So my buddy bought them from this guy in case he ever came across an AA needing restored. I just happen to luck into them. Its a great day.
REM

Post by REM »

You really did get a deal there.
The first time I read it I missed the part about wheels and still thought you did alright.
Add four good wheels and I'd say you hit the jackpot.
Congrats.
Richard
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

Hey whats this load of stuff you selling me????? LOL. Yesterday I went to mount my new wheels and tires on my truck and guess what, the bolt pattern is way wider then my hub bolts. So I called him and he said he thought that the wheels are from a 33 or 34 and assumed them to be the same as my 30. So now I get to go look in his stack of AA wheels and get to pick the ones I want. Boy, this deal gets sweeter and sweeter all the time. I love it.
When I got my truck, it came with five rims. Two what I will call flat and the others were the deep dished. All but the two flat or front wheels are rusted through bit time. Worthless.
Speaking of these rims that are to big, there is a removable ring around the rim but it does not have a spit in it. You know, so you can work it up off the rim. Whats that deal?
REM

Post by REM »

Those would be the Firestone RH type. Ford and others used a variety of wheel suppliers and wheel designs over the years. Those wheels are sought after by people with later model trucks looking to swap out the "widow maker" wheels that many of the 40's and 50's model trucks came out with.
Below is a link to a good thread on wheels over on FTE. Also a lot more discussion over there on wheels if you want to do a search.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/83901 ... akers.html
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

Thank you for that REM. He did say something about being a Firestone Wheel. I blew off what he said thinking he was talking about the tire being a Firestone. Thanks for the link. Interesting read.