Hello from Missouri

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
kctachris
Body Type: looking
Model Year: 1931

Hello from Missouri

Post by kctachris »

Well I've been lurking for a while and now that a "AA" looks in my future I better post. Also wanted to thank you guys for all the info, It certainly has helped me in gaining knowledge.

Here is the plan:
I located a few 30-31 SWB chassis for sale in Topeka Ks. and hopefully will bring one back next weekend. I have experience in the street rod world and also in "A" restoration business. I've had a stock 28 phaeton and built a very traditional hot rod '32 one ton stake bed, but figure for this project (as tempting as it might be) stock is key. My build goal is a 30-31 stake bed which can be driven at 55 mph and see farm use. I average around 8k per year on a '55 chevy plus another 4-5k on some other early fords cars, so travel is a must.

Other than high speed gear hopes and avoiding worn brakes, frame distortion and rust trough. Anything to keep in mind when looking?

Any advise is welcome.
Chris
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Hello from Missouri

Post by Chris Haynes »

Start shopping for a Warford Auxiliary Transmission or a Mitchell Overdrive. Of course High Speed Gearing is a must for those speeds.
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

A good way to reach 55 mph, is get to the top a big hill, and kick it outa gear. After that you may find the original speed made a lot of sense. - Good luck, and keep searching- there are ways to do what you want your truck to do, and this is the very best place to find the way to do it...
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed

Post by smilebigtt »

Say Chris, I live in Topeka. Just because I'm a really nice guy, if you tell me where this frame is, I will be more then happy to go look at it and advise you on whether you should buy it or not. Yeah, I will surely do that for you. :twisted:
kctachris
Body Type: looking
Model Year: 1931

Post by kctachris »

Ha thanks smilebigTT, with my luck it will be a '35 Chrysler car frame with rust through and looking like gold to the current owner.
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

I'm in Manhattan Kansas if you don't find what you are looking for in Topeka I'm sure I have a good frame that I would sell . Bud Valerius
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed

Post by smilebigtt »

say bud what is your address. I need to come out and get those rear spring/axle craddles from you. thanks
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

shop address is 1629 Fair Lane (Pit Stop Automotive ) call first 785-539-6650 to make sure that I'm here , I'm usualy here most days 7 to 5 Bud