Gear oil

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Russell Fredy
Body Type: dumptruck
Model Year: 1930

Gear oil

Post by Russell Fredy »

I have heard that the original transmition, rear end and steering box oil is something like 250 wieght. I bout a couple of quarts at about 15 dollars each from an antique parts store near Sacramento Ca, but 2 quarts didn't go very far. I used some 80 weight to fill the remainder. Does anyone know where to find the correct weight oil at a price less than 15 bucks a quart on the West Coast? Or can I run 80 wieght? Thanks, to everyone whom has answered my previous posts. If there is any information I can share with others I will, but I really am just beginning to learn all this stuff and don't know much. Thanks again,
Russell Fredy
E.Moore

Re: Gear oil

Post by E.Moore »

MAC's sells 600W for $8.00 / quart. One always needs something else other than gear oil, so the purchase of several things will justify the postage which isn't much. You may find that thinner viscosity lubricants will find ways to leak out of the transmission & rear end. It does no harm to the gears and bearings to use the thinner viscosity.

The 600W was used not only for lubricant, but also to slow the gears between shifts in order to allow a smoother shift transition from gear to gear. When the thinner viscosity lubricant is used in the transmission, gear mesh can be troublesome, especially once the drivetrain is at operating temperatures.
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed

Post by smilebigtt »

model T's use 600 in their rear end. Works great and unless you have a bad seal, it stays in the axle, not on the garage floor.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

this was on hemmings site , i also read a description on an A site that told how to mix your own havent been able to locate again it though will post where to look if i find it , it had some tag like dont tell your wife about the mixer. any way heres the Hemmings
Additional Information: Both Shell Oil and Texaco make lubricants that are very close to the original 600W product in both protection and viscosity - they REALLY slow down the transmission gears to make shifting as nice as an original car. The Shell product is called "Valvata" - The other is Texaco "Meropa 680".

You might be interested in the following posted by Dave Bockman on the Model A Message board -- http://www.ahooga.com:
There have been many comments on steering box, transmission and rear-end lubrication using a 600 viscosity oil. Here is one more I like very much. Texaco "Meropa 680" The viscosity is 680 and it meets AGMA 250.04 requirements for gear oil. I have conducted a few non-scientific tests with this product and others and have found it to be more viscous and has better "stick" than the product sold by Vintique INC. "gear lubricant" for $3.75 per quart. (It even looks better than their black stuff!!) It is available in 35 lb. pails (5 gallons) for $24.00 (That is a little over $1 per quart). The product code is: 02342.
Attachments
600wt oil.jpg
600wt oil.jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 8745 times
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I was told the the original 600 WT Ford Fudge contained whale oil. That is what gave it its distinctive smell.
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

Just as long as no dolphins were harmed during the making of the 600 w. whale oil.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

It was the high sulphur content that gave the old gear oil the lovely odor. I like it and use it for cologne.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Russell, Sacramento Vintage Ford in Sacrament has the original type 600w gear lubricant part#335 My books price is $5.95 Their ph. #916-853-2244. I'm in Louisiana. I've visited their store they have a lot of A parts and some AA parts hope this is helpful for you and you other AAers!!!!
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

What is the lub that goes in the tranny? It suppose to be about a thick as mud? Is it not the same as in the rear end?
Rosenkranswa

Post by Rosenkranswa »

600W all around - rear end, tranny, steering box, after shave....
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a
Model Year: 1929

Post by miner art »

ARG!!! i tried that, for after shave what a mess!!,my beard fell OFF!!
ART
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Me late '30 someone has filled it with chasi lub. tranny works good, only had truck for a couple of months haven't been in tranny yet
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a
Model Year: 1929

Post by miner art »

lotta work, take many photo's drink beer,hide out,have fun!!!!