AA Transmision

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RLaurin
Model Year: 1930

AA Transmision

Post by RLaurin »

I am a beginer here and need to know about the AA transmision. Specifically the pressure plate, clutch disk, and throwout bearing. I have a 1930 Gravity load dump truck. 4 speed tranny. Are these parts the same as the model a? I only see the one pressure plate and clutch disk for a model a in Mac's catalog. I see nothing in the AA section. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. Starting to put the truck back together now. This is where it really gets to be fun.
Again thabk you.
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a
Model Year: 1929

Re: AA Transmision

Post by miner art »

the clutch on the truck is the same as the car,it is in my truck,however,you can use a flathead pressure plate,lighten the fly wheel and maybe use a heaver clutch,maybe this helps!!!
ART
Rosenkranswa

Post by Rosenkranswa »

The A and AA transmissions are not the same for a '30 AA, but I believe the clutch is identical. I believe Snyder's may have some AA transmission parts, or quite possibly Bert's Model A in Denver.
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Having opened a few, I found that the AA had a larger diameter clutch disc, and heavier springs in the pressure plate. I think the springs were marked with a dab of yellow paint for identification. Try contact "Bert's" in Denver, CO for parts and advice. Good Luck.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

The 4 speed transmission used a pressure plate with heavier spring tension and used a 9-3/4" diameter clutch disc.

If the dump is to be driven without a load, the standard 9" clutch disc is fine. If the truck is going to continue to work as a loaded, operated dump truck, the larger diameter clutch disc and larger wire pressure plate springs should be used.
John - NNY

Post by John - NNY »

Brady wrote:Having opened a few, I found that the AA had a larger diameter clutch disc, and heavier springs in the pressure plate. I think the springs were marked with a dab of yellow paint for identification. Try contact "Bert's" in Denver, CO for parts and advice. Good Luck.
Thats right. The clutch and pressure plate are different in the AA trucks with the four speed trans. The A clutch is 9" and the AA clutch is 9.75" The AA pressure plate has heavier springs.

John
NNY
RLaurin

Post by RLaurin »

If I understand everyone, the truck had bigger parts but I can use the standard Model A size parts if I am not hauling any loads. Truth is I do haul fire wood with this truck. We use it in the woods. Never sees the highway though and never goes over 30 MPH. So with that said do you recommend the larger or standard parts?
If I should go with the larger parts my next question would be where do I find them. I can not find any of the larger size disks and springs anywhere. At least they are not listed in any of the many catalogs I have or web sites I am aware of. Can I use the larger existing pressure plate with the smaller Model A clutch disk that is readaly available? My pressure plate seems fine as is although I generally like to have them new along with the clutch disk when changing them.
Thanks Again for all your help.