Ok, call me dumb

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Norwich
Body Type: AA ?
Model Year: 1931

Ok, call me dumb

Post by Norwich »

I was looking at my front steering yesterday and happened to look at my front brakes on my 31AA. I did a double take! No brakes whatsoever! Just wheels bolted to the spindles. No brake assy or backing plate. Nothing. There are the manual brakes on the back. Is this normal?
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Re: Ok, call me dumb

Post by rollingsculpture »

pictures?
Norwich

Post by Norwich »

rollingsculpture wrote:pictures?
I'll take some tomorrow. Seriously, nothing there but axle, spindle, hubs and wheel/tire assy. No brake rods, nothing. It looks like one of those T bucket hot rods with wire wheels on front. Just brakes on the rear. Guess I drive very slow. :(
rollingsculpture

looks like a time to figure whats missing and go to town on the restore! i would bet the cross bracket still has the connection points for the front rods and there are plenty of used parts out there to fill in the blanks, i wouldnt try to stop a truck with the back brakes only seems like a recipe for body work.
Rosenkranswa
Model Year: 1930

Post by Rosenkranswa »

So all you have are the hubs/drums bolted to the ends of the spindles? Love to know the story behind that one. I don't think I'd drive it that way, you have half of the normal braking surface available which isn't a receipe for good things.

I'd call Bert's in Denver and see if they have an AA chassis with the front brake assemblies intact. That way you can buy complete assemblies that will be NOS. May need some cleanup and derusting/relining.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Bert's will not have NOS front brake parts for a '30/'31 AA (my guess). You should check to see if your rear backing plates are the late, one piece stamping or if the outer rim (dust guard) is a separate part which is riveted to the backing plate.

That way you can try to get the same style of front backing plates. I am sure that I have the earlier backing plates and all of the parts which you need. You can e-mail me if you don't find what you are looking for else where.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: flatbed

Post by smilebigtt »

there is a front axle assembly on ebay
Norwich

Post by Norwich »

The more I look into my truck, the more I'm learning I'm going to have to take out a mortgage. I'm strongly thinking about selling it and forget that dream.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Norwich,

Hey, I'm sure a former owner was just trying to lighten up the front-end so that he could pop wheelies. You might want to consider installing a drag-chute.

Seriously, where are you located? I have an extra '30/'31 front axel assembly. The spring has come apart, but all the leaves are there. It's got the backing plates, but I'm not sure if I've got any drums for it. Heavy. Might be rather pricey to ship. I live in Ojai, California. That's about 1 1/2 hours north of Los Angeles.

Don't give up your dream. There's lots of guys out here that can assist you.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
rollingsculpture

looking into it and discovering whats missing is the detective part of this work the other part which is also like detective work is finding out who your friends are who can give you good leads or items of use . youve only started just dont think about driving it for a few years after all you dont want to rush through the best part this is fun stuff that lasts a while so get into the history and the reasons for the changes of the parts . this is all the best fun of it ,the rebuilding of the mighty AA . Most guys are still looking for their truck..... than they have to get it home......, and have the wife on board (the trouble i had for a few hours ummumm) anyhow a person has to stay engaged and thinking and a project like this is a great way to expand the horizons on so many levels.

so stay with it and good luck!!
Gleaner
Model Year: 1928

Post by Gleaner »

Don't give up on the truck. I wouldn't get too worried about driving it around for a while as it is. Remember the Model T only has rear brakes and really only one as it's the band in the transmission.
This is one nice thing about a model AA parts are around.

Just remember when comming up on a corner your not in a sports car anymore. You'll get alot of enjoyment out of the truck.
Norwich

Post by Norwich »

I appreciate all the encouragement guys, however my little social security check only goes so far. I think the front brake assy was removed when the rear part of the frame was shortened and the tires moved forward. The right rear wishbone was removed as to make room for the home made winch that was bolted to the rear frame. With 10:00 20's on the back, (with the tire chains) I imagine there weren't too many places that truck (buggy) couldn't go. I have to be a realist here. Do I want a tank of propane or a new fender? You get the idea. I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Norwich,

Are you trying to get your truck road worthy ("street legal")? If so, I can understand needing to acquire all the necessary parts. But, it sounds like you've got sort of a doodlebug-type modified AA. You've got some history there! Have you considered just cleaning her up and showing her at events and just driving her off-road? Could be a lot of fun! If you do need the front axel assembly I have, I don't want an arm and a leg for it. I don't do business that way. Just for info, it has the wish-bone on it and the brake-shoe assemblies are in place on the backing-plates. I'd have to look around, but I might even have the two REAR wishbone arms. Which side do you need? By any chance, are you coming out this way this summer?

Live the dream!
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Norwich

Post by Norwich »

Sorry Drew. Shipping alone would break me. My axle is good as are my springs. I just need all the brake stuff. The engine is probably froze seeing it hasn't been run in quite a few years. It will probably take a torch just to get the spark plugs out. The way I see it is I have two choices: #1, sell it, or #2 put different running gear under it. Something like an early Ranger or S-10 rear and drive shaft, I have a 4.3 Vortec and auto. I think I know where to get an early Ford front axle assy free. There used to be an old junk yard near. I still see some rusty iron in the trees. I've built a few street rods in my life. I just wanted to build one more before I quit. Honestly, I really wanted to restore this one.
rollingsculpture

Hey Norwich give yourself the time and be patient and you may be surprised what the world will bring to you ,theres AA's up where you are. ive seen listings from all over MIchigan and the north up there for complete rollers for not much money , you are in prime country for AA's wish i was up there instead of the east coast where little is seen of AA trucks , im not sure why the hurry for you but from your pictures it looks like youve got a good bit of sheet metal and the engine looked together in your pic.you are a lucky man to have found that much truck with little money into it .I would take the head off and dump some oil on the pistons and let it soak in. spend some time just on the engine and see what happens . let some time pass and keep asking around and let your friends (some you may not know you have yet) help you out by being eyes and ears for you in the world .i would say a good part of the model A and AA restoration process is reaching out and finding a community that is friendly ,trustful,helpful . this may sound funny but check on ebay motors under model A and read the descriptions of whats for sale ,i have learned a lot that way.
it seems you've got your mind focused on what you know which is building hot rods with substitute parts, look for the real AA truck parts that are supposed to go there, many things are same as the model A too so everything you need for your AA is out there for not much money. be glad you didnt get a 34 ford roadster , now thats a rough thing to find parts for, anyway check with your regional model A club people about when the flea markets and meets are also check the auctions. its a funny thing but the model A somehow is invisible but all around us and we dont know it until we start asking around , i am always surprised to find this out time and again. just keep asking and talking about your project and your sure to meet up with your new buddies. you wont be disappointed to see your dream come alive piece by piece.