what engine hop-up parts have you used?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1930

what engine hop-up parts have you used?

Post by smilebigtt »

Has any one used any hop-up parts on their AA's? Ie.. high compression head, tour ground cam, dual carbs, headers, over sized valves? Is it bolt-on power? What do you think of the change?
REM
Model Year: 1930

Re: what engine hop-up parts have you used?

Post by REM »

I'm sure it has been done.
Here is my take on it.

I don't think hop up parts are very common on the AA's as power is not a problem.

With Model A cars performance enhancements are quite common because gearing is available to get the road speed up where a stock engine is somewhat underpowered.
Cam's, high compression heads, performance or multiple carbs etc. make a noticable improvement then.

With the AA's the gearing is not available to let us get much benifit from performance mods.
There is still no reason not to build a warmed up engine for an AA if that is what a person wants.
Give it some more power, RPM's and make it run as smooth as possible.
31 SWFL
Body Type: 82 B ?
Model Year: 1931

Re: what engine hop-up parts have you used?

Post by 31 SWFL »

P.hello i'm new to this form.ihave a 31AA rebuilt the engine with counter balanced crank,lighted flywheel (52.5lbs),stipe 330 cam,larger intakes,B carb,bored A intake(but in time will replace with a webber 40 dcoe sidedraft ) and a synders 5.5 head cc'd @ 177 chambers.when things were good i sprung for a mitchell overdrive.(takes 6 months to get one !)the truck has the high speed gears 5:14 and 650x20 all the way around.i did my math and plan on drive the truck as much as i can.here in a week or 2 should have the engine installed and will drive it with out the mitchell just to compare and will let you know how it works out .P.S. spelling and grammer not my strong points :D
Build it to make you happy NOT other peoples opinions.