just realized one more thing.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1930

just realized one more thing.

Post by smilebigtt »

I figured out the front springs could not be the correct spring. They are car springs. OK, got a set of AA springs. Got then a couple days ago and noticed the AA springs are to wide for the cross member. I knew something was fishy when I pulled the fenders off and saw the front cross member was bolted on.
So I figure that the cross member is also from a car.
My question. Would it be safe to leave these car springs on the truck? It will be on a highway little , mostly around town, and will only carry a lite load if any.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: just realized one more thing.

Post by Neil Wilson »

How do you know the front spring is for an A?

The '28/'29 AA's used a front spring which is the same width as the A (except the spring is a heavy duty spring for the AA - total height is higher than the A). The '28/'29 AA front cross member is similar to the A except it is heaver duty.

The '30/'31 AA's used a wider front spring and corresponding front cross member.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: flatbed

Re: just realized one more thing.

Post by smilebigtt »

Good question Neil. To answer your question I'm not positive the springs are for an A car. That was an assumption. Being new to AA's and A's for that matter, I don't know a great deal about them. The springs and cross member may in deed be from an earlier truck. The serial number on my truck makes it a mid 30 therefore should have the wider/heavier set of springs. Now that you mention it Neil, I had a set of
A car u-bolts that were not near long enough which means my spring set is a taller stack. Thanks Neil.