Trying to nail down the year of this truck

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Trying to nail down the year of this truck

Post by Chris Haynes »

The owner clains it is a 1932. I say it is a 1934 because of the 1934 only hood. How can we nail it down? VIN ranges?
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Re: Trying to nail down the year of this truck

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

one thing is the lug nut pattern, the '32 is the same as the AA, the '34 has a wider hole pattern, also the dust cover on the front wheel is just like the one on my '34, the hood emblem is for the '34. I don't know about the rear axle cover on hub for mine is not chrome. You can check the forum back a mouth or so and the lug pattern measurements are mentioned. Hope this $.10 worth of info was helpful. Have a nice day! Shelby
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Quickest ID from the outside is the vertical edge of the radiator shell at the hood. If It's straingt up, then it's a '32- if the shell tips back toward the cab, then it's a '33 or '34. The firewall on '32 is recessed from the edge of the hood, whereas the 33 &34 bulges out toward the engine. There are also different belt line shapes and widths. The '32 exhaust manifold angles to the rear and down to the muffler connection, whereas the '33 & '34 aim straing down like the model A.
I saw a '34 pick up registered as a '32, simply because the owner got hold of the papers for it. The DMV wouldn't know the difference between a '32 and their wife's boyfriend.
steve s.
Body Type: BB204A
Model Year: 1932

Post by steve s. »

The vertical radiator shell looks 32, as does the cab, ( hard to be sure without seeing the extra belt line on the back ) but it also looks to have a full floating rear axle which is definately 34. Perhaps it is a bit of a mix ? Steve