teacup or drum?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

teacup or drum?

Post by russ »

Greetings, I've got an early '30 with '29 body stake bed. I find conflicting information as to which is correct, drum or teacup tail lamp. Does anyone have any further clues as to which is correct?
Thanks in advance, Russ
Rosenkranswa

Teacup I believe

Post by Rosenkranswa »

I have a Feb '30 AA with cross-over features, i.e., 30 chassis and transmission, 28/29 cab, 30 fuel filler, etc. (Budd wheels have the Feb 30 date on them). We believe the truck to be original and have most of its history. It has a teacup tail-light.

My understanding is that Ford phased out the drum style lights in late '28. It would have taken a bit longer for the commercial line to use up the stock, but by early 30 AA's would all have had teacups. Of course, there's always the possibility of an odd-ball leftover.

Very nice having a Forum for us "Big Iron" folks.
doug

drum tail lights

Post by doug »

the drum taillight was used through early March of 1929.
dAAve

Drum light

Post by dAAve »

Yup - drum light used through March 1930. I have an early Feb AA with drum - I am looking for a good used one by the way.

Anyone in NE PA or nearby with AA interest?? :?: [/list]
dAAve
Pennsyltuckey, USA
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Either drum or tea cup

Post by Neil Wilson »

:!: I looked at the Judging Standards. It says that the drum style or tea cup tail light was used on commercial vehicles from February 1929 through March 1930. The commercial tail light body (either drum or tea cup) was steel (painted black). If you have a brass or stainless tail light body then it is not original.
Regards, Neil Wilson