New member, new restoration, stupid question.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
ZebbyZeb
Model Year: 1929

New member, new restoration, stupid question.

Post by ZebbyZeb »

Hi. We are new to this forum and to a restoration of this type. We previously restored our (original owner) 1969 Camaro and a 1955 Chevy Belair. We recently aquired a Ford 1929 Model AA dump truck. It looks as though no work has been done on this since 1929 and we are eager to dig in and get started. We purchased a book of compiled mechanical bulletins for Ford vehicles dated 1928-1931 and it looks to be informative and thorough, however, it deals with the vehicles when they are relatively new not 70 years old! Ok....so here's our first (stupid) question.....how do we remove the innner wheel? We'd appreciate any detailed information and will be looking for more input as we continue with our project....thanks in advance!
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: New member, new restoration, stupid question.

Post by Neil Wilson »

ZebbyZeb,
1st - since your truch has dual wheels, then it is most likely not a '29. Dual wheels were not available until January 1930. Note that the '29 cab was used until June 1930. A '29 rear axle can not have dual wheels installed.

The dual wheel removal requires an 1-1/2" hex. socket to remove the outer nuts holding the outer wheel. Once the outer wheel is removed, then the inner nuts can be removed using a square socket. The original tool is specified to have .817-.827" across the flats. This is between 13/16 and 7/8. I don't have a 13/16" square socket to test if it will fit.

Note that the left wheels use left hand nuts. Sometimes I have found left hand nuts on either side due to incorrect assembly of parts during service!
Regards, Neil Wilson
Model Year: 1929

Post by ZebbyZeb »

Thanks so much for the information....we'll let you know how it works out.
Rob MacDonald
Model Year: 1928

Post by Rob MacDonald »

A question is only 'stupid' if it isn't asked.

We're all here (in part) to experience each other's restoration projects vicariously and share our own experiences/mistakes....so don't be afraid to ask, and good luck with the truck!
John - NNY
Model Year: 1930

Post by John - NNY »

First time I tried to to pull the wheels off a 1948 truck rear axle, the right side came with lots of PB Blaster, muscle, and a 6' cheater bar. The left side would not budge even with heat. After a couple of weeks trying, it occoured to me that the left side has left hand threads ~ Duhh!!

Everything was great after that.

John
NNY
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

John - NNY wrote:First time I tried to to pull the wheels off a 1948 truck rear axle, the right side came with lots of PB Blaster, muscle, and a 6' cheater bar. The left side would not budge even with heat. After a couple of weeks trying, it occoured to me that the left side has left hand threads ~ Duhh!!

Everything was great after that.

John
NNY
Been There, Done that!!!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org