spare wheel carrier

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bert
Model Year: 1930

spare wheel carrier

Post by bert »

I was on the buy&sell site discussion site and I didn't want to take up thier room. I was looking for part# AA1470-AR which is the piece that holds the tire tight to the bottom of whatever body is on the bed. If someone has one collecting dust or rust I would be interestied in buying it. Neil, I have misplaced my Jim Shield Book which is the onlt thing I had thet showed all 4 years of frames and thier changes. When you count cross braces do you count the front motor mount? How about the rear spring mount? Counting all of them, I have 5. The 5th one has the hinge rivited on for the spare tire. There are two rivits to each frame. This part I m looking for would mount to a cross piece of whatever type of body is put onto the frame. Correct? The drawing you showed on the buy/sell site is exactly what I took off the 29 chassis. I had cut off the 29 frame and married it to my 28 frame after cutting the exact length of both. My 28 frame cross (rear) was bent from pulling heavy something. The 28 frame was also cut short. My frame is now the correct length. Your right abou my not having an early 28 and I will stop calling it that. But It still has the early equalizer brake system, left hand E brake,Drum tailite off left rear of frame.On that drawing there is an overall dimention from the center of the hinge pit to the 90 degree bend and I cannot make that out. MY tire frame is appeox. 33in. Does this sound correct? And I m sorry for taking up so much room and time.My lugs, what I have are 1 1/8 in and all are righthand thread and have a (R) stamped on the crown.----bert, fl.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: spare wheel carrier

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Bert,
My mistake on the frame cross members. The first AA's had only four cross members. The #5 cross member was added in about mid 1928. The carrier for the earlier frame was different and was hinged from the platform #4 cross member. The length of the '28/'29 wheel carrier is 33". Sorry, the .jpg which I posted does not allow reading the dimensions due the size restriction.

The wheel carrier shown is designed for the 88-A cargo body. Since your lug nuts have the "R" stamped on the top, they are actually '29 lug nuts. But, this does not matter. It only makes a difference at to which rear hing/bolt you need.

Attached is a drawing of the three designes of the rear hinge and bolt assembly. The one you need is the center one. Now, you have a drawing of the part you need and can verify that you are getting what you need. I hope you are able to find one. Many times this part stayed with the platform when it was removed from an AA. Thus the reason that this part is missing when there is no platform on an AA.
Attachments
Rear Hinge and Bolt Assembly.jpg
Rear Hinge and Bolt Assembly.jpg (60.6 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Re: spare wheel carrier

Post by bert »

The parts book I'm using is a 7/31 Parts price list. Seems to have most of what I need in the way of numbers. I'm no too worried about the lugs. Whould just like a full set of anything to hold the wheels on.Most of mine are deeply pok marked with rust. Eventually yhey will come to me. Thanks for all the trouble you went through to get me straightened out.----bert, fl.