6 hole dish wheel info and 5 hole bud wheel info

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bgj1956
Model Year: 1930

6 hole dish wheel info and 5 hole bud wheel info

Post by bgj1956 »

Neil/Everyone, had some of my wheels sand blasted this week, will have powder coated black this coming week, this is what I found under old paint and on rims, first two (2) photo's are of 5 hole bud wheels ( 30/31 ) and the next five (5) are of the 6 hole dish rims ( 1929 ) and the next three ( 3 ) photo's are of a HAYES RETAINING RING. Last photo is of a Firestone retaining Ring, will try to get a better shot of rings, first day for bright sun. I can read clearly the rings, did not have camera at correct angle to get good shot, let me know what you think or know about this, Bruce in OHIO
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: 6 hole dish wheel info and 5 hole bud wheel info

Post by spectria »

Do you want to know what fits what and the year/model they fit?

I can't answer with authority.

I am curious about whether someone knows if powder coating will fill and cover all the pitting in these wheels?

I was wonderng about having my wheels etched, then Zinc plated before some sort of coating like paint or powder coat.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

Firestone manufactured wheels & snap rings as well as tires & tubes. Ford issued the engineering details for the wheels, for several manufacturers including Firestone & Budd.

Check the ridge of the Firestone snap ring against all of the other rings you have to make sure the contours are the same. The snap ring channel had a change after Model AA production and there are warnings about using snap rings that are made to fit correctly into the wheel channel of the wheel being assembled.

20 inch split rim wheels were used at least through 1947 and there were variations of the 20 inch wheel's snap rings.

A good body filler will smooth the pits on the face of the wheel. I would not use filler on the rim flap surface.

Copper plating the snap rings, then sanding and re plating the snap rings and repeating the process over & over is the only recommended way that I'm aware of to fill pitting in the snap rings.

Some of the markings on the rim flap area I'm unfamiliar with (30D), but the 10-29 is the date of manufacture of the outer portion of the rim and 20 over 5 is the rim diameter 20" and tire width 5".
John - NNY

Post by John - NNY »

spectria wrote:Do you want to know what fits what and the year/model they fit?

I can't answer with authority.

I am curious about whether someone knows if powder coating will fill and cover all the pitting in these wheels?

I was wonderng about having my wheels etched, then Zinc plated before some sort of coating like paint or powder coat.
Here is a picture of some parts I had powder coated for my 1948 Ford F-7. They were rusty and pitted and this is what they ended up looking like. It looks worse in person. For my 1930 wheels, I will be using POR Putty, POR-15 filler, and POR-15 Hard Nose paint. On some of the heavier pitted wheels, I may try brazing as a filler or getting with a welding shop to try MIG/TIG.

John
NNY
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

I'm just going to paint the retainer rings with aluminum paint, was going to powder coat wheels, I thought the powder coat would fill in some of the pitting, if you don't think so I will paint, let me know what you all think, Bruce in OHIO
John - NNY

Post by John - NNY »

A hard epoxy paint may be the way to go. I can imagine wheels and retainer rings getting scratched up through assembly and road use. Paint would be much easier to touch up than plating or powder coat. I have see retainer rim tools on Ebay from time to time. The tool looks like a three-legged spider with a hand crank. I don't have a clue how they work or how WELL they work. That might reduce some scratches and elbow grease when removing and installing.

John
NNY
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

Do you have a photo of what to look for, or does someone have one they would let me borrow to remove the remaining 5 tires, does someone have one to sell or move around as everyone on AA Fords needs one, I will change these tires and not use ( I hope for years ) let me know if someone has a photo of what to look for, thanks Bruce in OHIO

This yard ornament of my neighbors works great to remove tire after I got ring off of rim, :D

I just bought a BUD Snap ON socket, kept borrowing my tire mans, its 1 1/2" with a square 13/16" all in one, will work great.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

With powder coating there is a metal repair that you can use. It is call lab-metal. It is perfect for powder coating(high-temp formula). IT is sold by Eastwood.com Part #10288Z high temp 24 oz.net wt. $54.99 This may be the answer for you pitted wheels before powder coating, I haven't got that for yet. But check it out! Hope this helps Shelby
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

I will ask the powder coating man if he is awhere of this, thanks, will post photos after I'm done, Bruce
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

bgj what did you find out about the LAB-METAL I hope it helped ! Shelby Messer
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

Used small abrasive disc on small grinder, hit very lightly and removed most of pox marks on wheels, will send photos of powder coating as soon as I pick up wheels, did not check into filler yet, ( but I'm going to ) always appreciate info and help, Bruce
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

you know you can also build up the metal with a mig or tig welder ,i did that for some of the face and the bead that the snap ring sets against , small spot weld and than grind flat or shaped to surrounding surface. first pic is before second is after the first fill and grinder pass . i used etching primmer and than painted and it looks great for me
Attachments
before fill.jpg
before fill.jpg (20.15 KiB) Viewed 6767 times
first fill and grind.jpg
first fill and grind.jpg (21.89 KiB) Viewed 6767 times
after.jpg
after.jpg (15.44 KiB) Viewed 6767 times
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

That is some nice wheel work. Can I send a few to you for repair?
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

I picked up my 10 wheels yesterday evening, they look good, on the aa bud ( 5 hole ) I found out after the fact I should have taken a gring disc and made the wheels smooth if I wanted a mirrow finish, out of the 6 wheels I picked out two for the front, the ones that looked best on that side and two for the back that would show, it will look fine. Have the other 4 ( 6 hole ) early 28-29 wheels that all look the same, remember the paint you used to get that looked rough, all four wheels look like that, nice and shiny, I can dress up later if I needed to and have powder coated again, I just did them to preserve them, next time I will take more time to prep. will take photo's and post soon, thanks for all the response, that's why I post here and fordbarn, great site and people, Bruce

Now I have 4 powder coated 20" spoke wheels and hub caps ( early 28 ), four powder coated 28-29 disc wheels 6 hole and 6 powder coated bud 5 hole wheels, will hang the first two sets on wall in garage, waiting on a AA someday to install on.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

E.Moore wrote:That is some nice wheel work. Can I send a few to you for repair?
Thanks Eric i would be happy to fix up your wheels for all the great advice and community spirit i get here from you come out to maryland or washington dc bring em along i can weld while you wait 8)