Will the early dual high mate to my 4 speed tranny?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
BunkerHill
Model Year: 1930

Will the early dual high mate to my 4 speed tranny?

Post by BunkerHill »

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I've been here, but I enjoy the site more with each visit because of all that I learn.

My question for you experts is: Will the early dual high (foot pedal operated) work with the 4 speed transmission? I have a '30 - 131" wheelbase that is setup as original/basic (no Warford or under/over drive of any kind). The measurements seem to indicate that the factory Ford dual high will work, but has anyone actually put one behind a 4 speed? It appears that they only came from the factory behind the 3 speeds.

Another question: The unit I have is described as a "dual high", but it seems to have only direct, neutral and underdrive. However Jim Schild's book says this unit gives both under and over drive ratios. What is the real deal? I am confused...

Thanks for your help!
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The Ford dual high transmission is an underdrive, netural, and straight through gears. It can be installed with a 4-speed. you need a '28/'29 u-joint for the drive shaft as well as the '28/'29 rear support (used for the coupling shaft and dual high). At the 4-speed you need a special u-joint, transmission rear bearing retainer, and Model A inner/outer u-joint housings. I might have some pictures of some of the parts which I could send you.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by BunkerHill »

Thanks Neil. Yes, please - any pictures or part numbers you have will be of great benefit to me. Appreciate the information. Bentley
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Bentley,
I have some pictures for you. However, I can't attach them to the site. If you send me an e-mail at wilsmor@juno.com, I can attach the pictures to a return e-mail.
Regards, Neil Wilson