AA Rear end, Two speed?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Roadster AA
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1928

AA Rear end, Two speed?

Post by Roadster AA »

This rearend is for sale here in Maine. He says it may be a Model A two speed ruxtel.
Can anyone tell form the picture what it is and what it might be worth?
Thanks,
Pat
Brady
Body Type: None
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA Rear end, Two speed?

Post by Brady »

I think it was for Model TT because there appears to be no brake drums like the AA. It does have the six hole wheel though, so it's quite a puzzle. I'd sure like to have it. At a local junk yard, I saw a Ford worm drive with the Dayton dual wheels- may have been from Canada.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Pat,
The picture is way too small to see details. I have seen a similar axle in a TT. I have an old "Van Dorn" catalog which advertises a two speed axle for the TT and AA. So, it seems that something was made for the AA back in the late '20's/'30's.

If it is for an AA and is a working unit with good gears, then it should be worth as much as an AA Warford (or other overdrive) - like $500 to $1200. If it is not a working unit and/or the condition of the gears not known, then it might just be a yard ornament.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Roadster AA »

Here are some photos of the 2 speed rear end I just bought. It has ford hubcaps.but it has 6 wheel studs that are car size. not AA. Everything seems to work fine.I can turn the driveshaft and the hubs turn smooth. It has the lever on the pumpkin that moves and everything still turns smooth. Can anyone tell what it is? I think it is from a TT. Can I somehow use this on my 29 AA. Should I keep this or sell it. You can click on the photos and enlarge them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Pat

Phil Mino

Post by Phil Mino »

The rearend is Model TT. The easy to tell the difference is in the brake backing plate and the way the rear spring is attached.

Model TT -

Model AA -

Roadster AA

Post by Roadster AA »

Can the ends [hubs] of the TT rearend somehow be changed to 28-29 AA hubs. They are both worm drive. I would like to use the TT two speed rearend on my 29 AA.

Thank you,
Pat
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Pat the TT and AA axles can be made to fit. Bring them both to a Machine shop and tell them what you have in mind. Most machine shops could do what you want to do. You may want to get a ball park figure on the cost! Good luck on your decision! Shelby, Louisiana.