AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
kenelect2
Body Type: Stake Bed
Model Year: 1930

Post by kenelect2 »

I recently obtained a AA Stake Bed AA. It is titled as a 1930 but has a 1929 cab on it. I have 3 Model A's having done a complete restoration of one of them, but have no knowledge relating to the AA. The only literature that I could find was "Restorer's Model A Shop Manual" with a AA "Supplement to Restorer's Model A Shop Manual". Any suggestions for references would be appreciated.

I do have my first question. The wheels are ones with 5 air openings and it appears from the lugs on the rear that it could accomodade duals. My neighbor has wheel with 6 air openings. Can I use them?
REM

Re: New Member

Post by REM »

First Welcome to the board and have fun with the AA.

You are correct. The 5 hole wheels are the ones that can be used as duals.
You need the correct nuts to attach the inner and outer wheels when used as duals.
The 6 hole wheels are not interchangeable with the ones you have.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Your truck is likely a '30. The 82-A closed cab was used until about June 1930. Ford didn't convert the commercial A/AA bodies to the '30/'31 style until after June 1930.

Yes, REM is correct, the '29 six hole wheels will not bolt properly to your '30 chassis.
Regards, Neil Wilson
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

Welcome, Bruce in southern OHIO. Post photo's of your truck when you get a chance.
Here are photo's my two AA trucks, the black truck I what to find a stake bed for, again welcome.

kenelect2
Body Type: Stake Bed

Post by kenelect2 »

It will be awhile before my AA will look like those. I am still fumbling around trying to use this forum. Will try to post some pictures after some trial and error.

No one answered my original question about the availability of liturature that may be available? Thanks for your reply.

Ken
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Ken:
With the Jim Schild's book (AA supplement) you've got nearly all that's been published. I urge your to get the "Double AAer" subscription through Neil Wilson. I have looked for years for print on the AA's, and Neil has the most comprehensive coverage I've ever seen. Get yourself a Bratton's Catalog by mail, and a Ford Model A & AA instruction booklet reprint. There's also a rather thin book about restoring the pickup on the market. There's abook called "Model AA Truck Owner, but it's all advertisement reprints of accessories. The Dykes Manual is good but limited in whats covered for the AA.
You can go nuts buying books (like I have), or just stay tuned to this web site. In any case, we all wish you the greatest of success in your restoration efforts- just don't give up.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Post by mikeg »

Yes, for sure join the FMAATC, great resource of information each year, plus you can obtain all the back issues from Neil. Here is the website for the club.

http://www.fmaatc.org/

you'll find the membership form there.