Radiator

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
kenelect2
Body Type: Stake Bed
Model Year: 1930

Radiator

Post by kenelect2 »

When I recently purchased a AA Stake Bed, I got some new parts with it. I got the old radiator and it looked similar to ones in the A. The original neck was 1 1/2 inches high, 2 1/4 inches in diameter and an opening of 1 5/8 inches with the lip being solid around the whole circumference. It also seems to have standard threads around the outside.

The new radiato neck that I got with it is also 1 1/2 inches high and 2 1/4 inches in diameter. The top center hole is 1 inch in diameter. The outside of the neck is threaded with fine threads.

It would appear that the shroud tha I have, which is also new, will fit. Does anyone have any information on this new radiator since the old original radiator is not useable?

Ken
Rosenkranswa

Re: Radiator

Post by Rosenkranswa »

Through most of AA production, the radiators were the same as for the A - short/broad style for the '28/'29 bodies and tall/narrow style for the '30/'31 bodies. In '31, maybe late '30, a heavier radiator with an additional row of cooling tubes was added - anybody that owns an earlier Model AA knows why. The little car radiators had a hard time keeping up with the heat dissipation needs of the heavier AA.

It sounds like you have a reproduction radiator and radiator shell (which should be black painted steel, not chrome). Radiator shells to fit the thicker radiators with the additional row of tubes aren't being reproduced to the best of my knowledge and are difficult to find, so you probably have the car radiator. It will fit, but the repro stuff can be problematic at times, like not having the right threads and fit problems. I had to get a reproduction radiator replaced three times for my AA until I got one that fit properly. Fortunately most of the A and T vendors know this and will work with you.

By the way, a radiator shroud was a piece that fastened to the back of the radiator on the early '28 A's and AA's and looks like a flat funnel. They were discontinued early in production. If you have a "new" one, then its probably a radiator shell, not a shroud.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

All '30/'31 AA's with the 82-B cab have an AA radiator and corresponding AA radiator shell. All prior AA's used the A radiator. There was a four row A style radiator released for service in 1930.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by kenelect2 »

Appreciate the previous information concerning AA radiators.

I had a discussion with Walt Bratton concerning the radiator that I have. He discussed a number of things but essentially said that if I had a screw on gas cap that I would have to have the equivalent of a 1929 radiator so that the hood would fit properly. He also indicated that the neck is normal but could be replaced if I wanted.

In the meantime, a friend of mine that has a 1929 Model A coupe was getting ready to pull his radiator for repair. I indicated that he should check to see if the dimensions on his radiator match the new one that I have for the truck. His measurements appear to match and even the fine thread on the neck seems to be okay. He indicated that the 1 inch hole in the neck was smaller than his but it shouldn't be a problem. He will install it if it fits properly and run it until his radiator is repaired.

Ken
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

My May 1930 Early '30 AA has a four core radiator.
kenelect2

Post by kenelect2 »

Thanks Chris for your comment concerning your radiator having 4 cores.

Since I first posed the question about the radiator, I have gotten an education of sorts that I wasn't previously aware of. The friend that I loaned my new radiator to found that he had only a two rows core and mine was 3 row. Evidently some of the earlier replacement radiators were two rows and they didn't sufficiently cool the engine installed in the A. I then found that the AA should have 4 rows as Chris noted. If I actually install a 4 row (available from part vendors), I will have to look for a different shell (Don't see one of these available from parts vendors)? Will the 3 row adequately cool the engine if the truck isn't used for heavy loads? Thanks!

Ken
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Back in the '60's I used to run into A's with one and rwo core radiators. These were NOT Ford products but were replacements sold by aftermarket companies.
Rosenkranswa

Post by Rosenkranswa »

Our early '30 AA with a '28/'29 cab has a 3-row '28/'29 radiator. Its OK most of the time, but will overheat pulling up a steep hill and I usually have to replace a couple quarts after a drive.