Trailer info. I'v found

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bert
Model Year: 1930

Trailer info. I'v found

Post by bert »

For those a few weeks back who talked about brakes on a semi trailor behind the "AA". Fruehauf was offering a few types of trailors for the "AA". There was two types of brakes on those trailors. One was BK (haven't found out what letters stand for yet) Vacuum operated and second, Westinghouse Air. These brakes were offered with the Trailor kit. I believe that you had to supply the air or vacuum for the truck.Haven't found anything that henry supplyed. Still looking.I have a book(Truck Owner,by A.G. McMillan) that shows mustly all the things that were adapted to the "AA" chisses and this is where I've found the info.----bert, fl.ps The lower fifth wheel came with the kits for the frame.
John - NNY

Re: Trailer info. I'v found

Post by John - NNY »

I would think that a flexable conduit and cable assembly, fixed at both ends, would work also. I'm thinking something similar to the flexable cables found on bicycle brakes and shifters only much larger. And, 100% mechanical just like the brakes on the AA's. You could even use an AA frame and rear axle with stock brakes as a starting point for a trailer.

John
NNY
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

Air or vaccuume brakes are the only LEGAL option for trailer brakes. That being said, this is my desire to one day have a semi AA truck/traler rig. I have the air compressor for it, and for the time being, I turned it into a portable air compressor. The platform trucks(Which Im currently restoring) one of, is cool, but a semi with the trailer being used is just cool!
farmerden
Body Type: AAC
Model Year: 1928

Post by farmerden »

Careful what you wish for The industry has spent years making trucks safe.I started on vacumm brakes and have never forgot powering out out a hill and having only one stab at the brakes and then there was none-I learned to back up quickly! Air brakes and the neccessary valveing is safe but not Model AA .I wonder about a mechanical connection to the trailer being insurable.My 1999 Mack had a cable driven clutch with a fully enclosed cable large enough to do the job.One would have to provide some sort of break-away device to apply the brakes to the trailer in the event of a trailer break away.Then there's the traffic-there was virtually no traffic back in the days of mechanical brakes so you only had to worry about you own stupidity now adays you are the least of your problems! I know ,I know why have brakes at all they only slow you down! :lol:

[url][Image/url]
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

The emergency brake set up on a "73- '78 long wheel base Chevy pick-up would be a good setup to look at for Mechanical brakes on a trailer or at least connecting the truck to the trailer. The cables are very strong. This is just my two-bits worth. Just an idea! Good Luck!! Keep on trucking!!!! Shelby, Louisiana.
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

FarmerDen, nice picture of the HDX. Back in the 70s they tried hauling road trains with those trucks here on Vancouver Island. Hauling 6 loaded trailers behind one truck down the mainline logging road out of Nanaimo Lakes Division, not a very successful venture, but proved it could be done. Sadly, pretty much all of the off highway log trucks have been phased out. Quite a site seeing one of those coming at you loaded with 16' wide bunks, trying to get your pickup into the ditch as fast as you can with one of those heading towards you not slowing down one bit.
farmerden
Body Type: AAC
Model Year: 1928

Post by farmerden »

There's not much room for anything when these lumber down the road. Lucky for me I was in the Logging truck! And they don't stop! That's why I worry about our fellow forum members putting trailers on Model AA's. I remember Dad havin' the brakes set up on his "A" -works good loaded don't work at all empty! Believe it or not the guys would have a rock at the top of the hill to run into and hold her steady while you set up the brakes.Lord help the guy who moved the Rock!!! Rained pretty good didn't it ? I'm down at Shawnigan Lake Den
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

farmerden wrote:Rained pretty good didn't it ? I'm down at Shawnigan Lake Den
Wow, that's hard to believe, another AAer so close by, and one that can work a computer. Did you have your truck at the Forest Museum show this summer?