AA Rear end??

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
J lowe Sol Illinois
Model Year: 1930

AA Rear end??

Post by J lowe Sol Illinois »

I got a model a frame given to me. it was made in to a hay trialer. the rear end under it looks like a model a rear end but the torque tube is six feet long. I was wondering if it is a AA rear end. it has the same banjo apparence as a A so is it a 28 or 29 AA? i dont know. it could be anything.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: AA Rear end??

Post by Chris Haynes »

A picture is worth a thousand words. :)
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

If it's about the same size as a model A with a long torque tube
it's probably a later Ford car. Does it have hydraulic brakes?
John - NNY

Post by John - NNY »

It could be a 28-29 long wheel base truck?

Like the man said, "A picture is worth a thousand dollars".

(That saying usually applies when posting pictures of accidental damage like dropping a tool box on a fender or something.)

John
NNY
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Hello J: We thrashed this around pretty good on Fordbarn, and I'm glad you posted the question here also. It hadn't occured to me at the time, but I now think that the answer from Bob C is probably what you have. There is an AA rear end that was made in the "banjo" style, and looks like a giiant Model A rear lend. There aren't many around, and I would love to have one for a doodlebug, just to show off. Like Bob says, check the backing plates for cylinders, the bolt pattern and wheel size, and the tires. If you have the AA banjo, I'm sure someone on the baord here would like to have it, as it is for a '29, and the gear ratio is higher. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The '29 bevel gear rear axle came in the same two gear ratios as the worm drive. Attached is a picture.
Attachments
xBevel 28-29 1.jpg
xBevel 28-29 1.jpg (42.02 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Brady

Post by Brady »

Neil: Thanks for the correction. I was sure that I read somewhere, that the big AA banjo had one ratio, and it was a high speed. I'm glad you saw my post in time to prevent any problems for someone considering a change over.
Regards, Frank.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

I have a NOS driveshaft & pinion for the big banjo AA rear end for sale or trade for 30/31 parts.

email: aaford157@nosford.com
J lowe Sol Illinois

Here are pics of it.

Brady

Post by Brady »

Hello J and Chris:
Well, we now know what it isn't- certainly not for aModel A or AA. I would have to guess it was in a '33/34 car/p-u. J, are you sure the torque tube hasn't bgeen spliced? It may have been in some special body type like an airport limo or hearse.
Chris: In the process of locating photos of early ford axle housings, I went to Vince Falter's "Model A & B Ford Garage" web site, and found the Model AA Army truck I had refered to when we were posting about that question from "Mike in Maine", back in May. If you go there, scroll way down to the "rear axle and rear suspension" category, it will open a sub list. The last segment of that list is for the "Warford Sextette" tandem drive AA. Click that, and scroll down to the end. There's a photo of the truck I mentioned with the double fenders. Mike may also be interested in that history item.
J: There is more to find out about the rear axle you have, but although the photos are great, they are hard to orient. The banjo drain plug doesn't show, so I think it's right side up. I see no evidence of where the wish bones would attach, and certainly no wheel cylinders. May be '35 if those had cable brakes. Keep searching and good luck. That's a beautiful little coupe in your photos.
FB
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

I believe that rear end is the big banjo AA rear end for the 29. The spring perches, the torque tube length and the brake levers look like the very limited production 29 AA big banjo rear end.
J lowe Sol Illinois

The coupe is my grandpas and he ll love to hear that. and thanks for all the info. if you want more detailed pics i can take them just tell me what to take a picture of and i will.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

That is definately NOT a AA rear end. It is a passenger car or pickup.
Brady

Post by Brady »

This is making me crazy- The visual clues from the photos made me think right away that the drum and hub have the 5 x 5+" bolt pattern for the car/p-u wheels. Then, it made me think the unit might be upside down- The brake shoe width looks to be less than half of what the worm drive unit has. The front axle looks to be from a car, with the open brake drums, but the brake springs don't look right. There doesn't seem to be any way for me to orient the size of anything to a reference point. If there was a picture of the wheels, the case would be simple. J: Best of luck with the project

Mr. Moore: Due to the fact that I quite usually make a fool of myself, I'm now inclined to leave this one alone for awhile.

Chris: Did you get a chance to view the AA military truck with the tandem drive?
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Brandy has it. I looked in one of my Ford parts books and the backing
plates are 33-34. According to the Hollander interchange the drive shaft
is 60 1/8" long so the torque tube would be a few inches longer.